How do I reinstall XP without reformatting

Paul2008 10:33 30 Aug 2008

Am getting some startup problems when the icons don't load on the desktop or the system hangs on bootup.
Last reinstall was last Christmas.
Would like to try to reinstall XP Home without reformatting my HDD.
What is the correct sequence for doing this after inserting the CD?
Thanks
Paul2008

skidzy 10:38 30 Aug 2008

Perform a Windows XP Repair Install click here

howard64 10:38 30 Aug 2008

let the cd run and when prompted hit the R for repair option [this is not the recovery console] this puts a new copy in and might fix things. You could of course try running sfc /scannow before it might cure the problem.

Pineman100 16:44 30 Aug 2008

Before running a repair install, have you tried using System Restore to roll the computer back to before the problem cropped up?

Paul2008 09:28 02 Sep 2008

Thanks folks, but none of your suggestions worked adn so I will live with it for a while then reinstall.
Paul2008

griffon56 12:20 02 Sep 2008

Hi Paul2008. A couple more things you might try if not already. One, run CCleaner (free from ccleaner.com if you haven't already got it) and get rid of any redundant files and conflicts, and two, right-click the desktop, left click 'Save as Scheme.....', name your desktop, OK back to base and the next time windows loads it will show that scheme.

Also check that the box marked 'Run Desktop Cleanup wizard every 60 days' is not ticked in 'Display Properties - Desktop Items - General Tab - Desktop Cleanup' reached by right clicking the desktop then left clicking 'Properties - Desktop - Customise Desktop...'. Phew!

There are articles on just such a repair/reload as you require at michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm and at
tinyurl.com/tcyu and at tinyurl.com/62te. Worth having a look.

Curio 15:55 02 Sep 2008

I used this article to successfully reinstall Windows XP SP2 on a Laptop that I passed on to my daughter. It worked a treat and without any data loss.
Have a read and just folllow the instructions if you decide to go ahead.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?