How do I recover Itunes music from desktop HDD?

cyberphobic 14:24 22 Sep 2007

The motherboard failed on my son's desktop so I have bought him a laptop to replace it. He had over 1000 tracks on his Itunes which he now wants on his laptop. I have bought a caddy so I can attach his old HDD to the laptop using the USB lead. I can see the Itunes folder on the old HDD, but strangely when I open it I see the new music he has downloaded on to the Itunes on his laptop (about 300 tracks)! If I right click on the Itunes on the old HDD it shows that the file is much bigger than the one on the laptop and was also created well over a year ago which is correct. There must be a way of transferring these tracks on to the laptop but I can't figure it out, can anyone help me please?

rather than transfer the library,could you try dragging the music files/folder to the new itunes or has itunes got an option to add music files by adding the old hard drive as a location to search.

the only possible problem with transferring the library is that the library file extension would relate to the old hard drive,therefore possibly wont play.

cyberphobic 14:58 22 Sep 2007

Many thanks for your suggestions, will give them a try and let you know how I get on

cyberphobic 14:03 23 Sep 2007

I have dragged ITunes from the old hard drive to the desktop of the laptop, but when I try to import from it, I get the nessage "Cannot import "ITunes.exe" as it does not appear to be valid exported file

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?