how do I read .met files for free?

Quilljar 17:31 18 May 2009

I have a load of .met files from a friend's computer which she needs to read and i am having difficulty in googling any sensible answer. I have tried Metmedic and emule and one other but no result.

VoG II 17:49 18 May 2009

Could be one of several things click here

Quilljar 19:04 18 May 2009

This link was the first one I tried and it is no use at all...
Sorry
I really need some one who KNOWS the answer, not a guess. I have done that...

bremner 19:48 18 May 2009

Would that be the logs files from eMule the p2p software normally used for the illegal sharing of copyright material?

Quilljar 21:36 18 May 2009

but all I want is to read these files

DieSse 00:09 19 May 2009

You'll only be able to read them if you have the correct program to read them.

So you absolutely need to know what files they are to stand any chance.

It's entirely possible there even the program that uses these files does not allow you to "read" them - they may not actually contain "readable" information.

Notepad will open most files and show you the information on them. It may still not be "readable" in the everyday sense that I think you mean.

ZoeButton55 07:37 19 May 2009

A very obscure program called something like "eMule" IIRC biggrin.gif
go to the shared files tab, right-click anywhere in the shared files list, select collection > create collection, then right-click on the "shared (xxx)" button.
You now got the list of all your shared files [edit: known files, of course], with name, size and hash

If you need the exact size rather than a rounded valu in kB, MB..., you can find an alternative to metmedic (with very different initial purpose) here

ZoeButton55 07:37 19 May 2009
  Quilljar 08:40 19 May 2009

I have accidentally found that the files were OCR scans and they are now readable by a program I have called Omnipage - It is in Dutch so not too easy to work but I have puzzled it out. Without all your suggestions, I wd have given up.
Thanks!
Q

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?