How Do I re install Windows 8?

RISC OS user 13:58 08 Jun 2015

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium and I have installed Windows 8 on to it about 2 years ago and have updated to 8.1 all was working well until last week when I downloaded some update drives and Bios from the HP site and have nothing but trouble since!. I have tried to use the "recover to an earlier date" but have not been able to achieve this. I then tried to re install Windows 8 but after about 61% the whole thing froze and I had to switch off. When I tried again I was informed that the disc what not correct. I have the original 4 DVDs which I made when the Laptop was new and tried to use these as I had done before I installed Windows 8 and they were not recognised. I have now gone to my external Hard Drive and loaded the disc image I created about 18 months ago, but now I cannot get ZoneAlarm or Internet Explorer to function. I am quite happy to re format the C drive as I have a back up of all the necessary data saved upon it. It has been suggested that I set the PC back to Factory Settings and then re install Windows 8 but as I am running Windows 8 not 7 as when the machine was new how do I do this?

What is my best method of correcting my problems?

RISC OS user 15:16 08 Jun 2015

Thank you for your reply, that does seem like the best idea. I did wonder if that might have been a way out but was not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?