How do I place a "Life-Ban" on KB951748 ?

Diemmess 22:09 09 Jul 2008

See the thread discussing the difficulties some (including me0 have had.
click here
Stricken when KB951748 autoinstalled.
Cured when uninstalled.

Noticed an update was waiting in the wings when switching down this evening and allowed this to happen.
Started up again just to check, and sure enough there was no way I could go online at all!
Uninstalled yet again and everything back to normal once more.

How can I avoid a repetition of this nonsense in some unguarded moment?

wis 22:17 09 Jul 2008

re set updates to down load and advise,
not auto updates then you choose

cocteau48 22:35 09 Jul 2008

If you access the update via custom rather than express the same update should have a small ticked box beside it. Untick the box and the update details should become grayed out with a further box at the bottom saying - "do not show this update again" - tick it.
That should do it.

Spark6 23:19 09 Jul 2008

Having read through today's postings re this update I have not noticed any mention of the annoying problem I am experiencing with it.

It does not appear in 'add or remove', I have restored to 07/07/08, I am able to use the internet but when I shut down I receive the message saying an update is to be installed after hitting the 'shutdown button'. Needless to say, the flaming update is still installing 2 hours later and I have to reset!

Comments and advice appreciated.

woodchip 23:46 09 Jul 2008

You should do as I do, Turn Auto Updates off, Do them Manually

woodchip 23:47 09 Jul 2008

PS choose Custom install the choose other if you do not want SP3

Stuartli 00:16 10 Jul 2008

If you configure WindowsUpdate via Security Center to "Notify me of new updates but not download or install them" you can, as suggested, click on the yellow icon, select Custom and choose which downloads you will allow; each update's details are displayed when you highlight it.

When you click on Install, a panel will come up that you can tick to ensure that you are no longer notified of the unwanted downloads.

wis 00:25 10 Jul 2008

spark 6
will be listed ensure updates checked in add remove, top of page
and as woodchip auto updates down load and advise
you choose what you want

Diemmess 09:32 10 Jul 2008

Problem seems to affect PCs using XP and the free Zone Alarm firewall.

Problem seems solved for me, the awkward update is now installed with no bad effects elsewhere.

Method click here
Update ZA by clicking on the last option (Firewall only) which will lead to a download of version zlsSetup_70_483_000_en

Reboot where requested and install the dreaded KB951748 if it is not already installed!
No longer any fuss with access to the Internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?