How do i overclock my Graphics Card??

Rasper 20:30 14 Dec 2007

Ok - idecided cant quite afford an upgrade to a new card yet - doing it gradually as im building my first system slowly so i wish to overclock my card and squeeze the last i can out of it - if its possible -Also considering my CPU if my build could take the heat.

How do i do it - and more to the point,with the card i have is it worth it ????

E6300 Duo
Intel D946GZIS Mobo
OCZ 600w StealthStream PSU
Geforce 7600 GS
2gb Corsair ddr2 XMS2 DHX
Antec 900 case

Many Thanks for any input

Totally-braindead 01:07 15 Dec 2007

My opinion is its not worth it but I know some others will disagree. My point of view is you are forcing the hardware to work harder than they were designed to and therefore you at least shorten their life and of course if you go too far its bye bye time. And I simply cannot afford a new PC if things did go wrong.

If you really are serious about this and knowing the risks wish to go ahead then fine thats your choice. I suggest looking here as an example click here or here click here lots of advice on both the sites.

SB23 14:32 15 Dec 2007

I agree with Totally-braindead.

I considered overclocking last year, but the general view on the forum was that it really was not worth it.

I'll also mention that after alot of reading on the subject, and the possible implications, I'm glad I didn't.

I'm just waiting till I can afford to upgrade, or my wife to increase my pocket money, lol!

Steve

use coolbits safe and effective, but keep under nvidias guidelines click here

Devil Fish 19:25 16 Dec 2007

my advice would be don't if you can't afford to upgrade your card and the over clock goes pear shaped and damages you GPU
you are going to be stuck without a card

if you are serious about having a go wait until you get your new card then have a mess about (experiment ) with the old one then its no great no great loss if it does bomb

Rasper 20:41 16 Dec 2007

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?