how do i open an old OST file in Outlook?

angus.mac 07:24 19 Jun 2006

transferring files from dying hard drive to new PC - Xp, outlook 2003 with outlook connector. Trying to import outlook files but can't find option to import ost files - just pst. Can anyone advise?

TomG 10:39 19 Jun 2006

do you mean pst files?

scotty 10:55 19 Jun 2006

click here gives details for manually syncronising offline folders. I would guess that if you just copy the .ost files to the same location on your new drive, Outlook should complete the synchronisation.

Suggest you back-up the .pst files before you try anything.

GroupFC 11:02 19 Jun 2006

I really have no idea - but see if this helps
click here

scotty 11:09 19 Jun 2006

Search for ost files in Help in Outlook takes you to this page click here

Appears to only talk about .pst files. I wonder if .pst and .ost files are the same or very similar and the software uses the extention name to identify it as an offline file.

angus.mac 22:54 19 Jun 2006

interesting link scotty click here - but it doesn't help. i think though that for some reason the contents of my OST on the host was never fully synched - as it should in theory - with my msn account - hence the problem. i should have acted when i realised it earlier. i'll have to sit on the ost file for now and hope i don't need any of its contents

DieSse 23:27 19 Jun 2006

Convert ost to pst

click here

click here and try the Recovery for Exchange or Exchange Server

DieSse 23:37 19 Jun 2006

This noted in another search - may give you a clue what to do

If you can open the OST file in off-line mode, you can then create a PST and simply copy the contents of the OST over to the PST. The trick here is opening the OST at all, since it is typically tied to a specific profile or Exchange Server account settings. If that account is not available, then you may not be able to open the OST.

and this - there is an (expensive) program called Exchange Recovery 2.0 that says it can work with the new 2003 file formats

komodo 20:18 19 Jan 2007

To recover your emails from unusable Outlook 2003 OST file, you can try Convert OST Software from click here

angus.mac 11:10 01 Mar 2007

that's v useful thanks

splitarticle 12:52 04 Aug 2010

Yes, you can import OST files with outlook using Convert OST to PST tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?