How do i network 2 pc's so they both have the net

Rickyv 15:46 09 May 2004

My dad has a pc downstairs with the internet on it and i have mine upstairs, how do i network them so that mine also has use of Broadband. Also, what will i need to buy to do this and how much will it cost roughly? Thank you

LastChip 15:57 09 May 2004

for every time this question has been asked ;-)

Two basic ways.

Either use ICS - Internet Connection Sharing, or use a Router.

ICS, means the machine connected to the net must be on when internet access is required by EITHER machine.

A Router, means each machine has independent access in it's own right.

If the machines are not networked at present, you need to choose between a WIRED connection, or WIRELESS connection.

It's a complex subject, so click here for some basic reading.

stylehurst 15:58 09 May 2004

What sort of Broadband, ADSL or cable.

Rickyv 15:58 09 May 2004

i will need a wireless connection and a router then... any more info...?

Rickyv 15:58 09 May 2004

adsl

SEASHANTY 16:03 09 May 2004

Some ADSL routers on this website
click here

LastChip 16:09 09 May 2004

If you want to go down that road, the easiest way is to get a Wireless ADSL Router. It is a device that as the name suggests, incorporates an ADSL modem and wireless router. You will also need a wireless adapter for each computer.

Check out the link I gave you for further information and in particular to decide which version of the wireless protocol you wish to use. For what it's worth, I'd go for the fastest, as it's still slower than the wired standard of 100MB/s.

Even though standards are written for each protocol, manufacturers do vary in their implementation, so for the easiest configuration, choose all devices from the same manufacturer.

Also read and understand the security implications of wireless.

Stuartli 16:11 09 May 2004

If you have XP, the subject is covered comprehensively under Networking and the Web in Help and Support.

GaT7 18:05 09 May 2004

To add a useful link (if you're using WinXP) - click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?