How do I move microsoft works form my slave drive?

athertpa 11:28 01 Nov 2009

Hiho,

My last computer previously went pop (or at least the hard drive appeared to give up the ghost), I have spent the last month building my own little super computer to replace the old one! To try and recover my old files I have also connected my old IDE hdd to the new PC.

To my suprise the system has recognised the HDD and I have been able to retain all of my old photo's, music, programs etc...

However how can I install microsoft works from the slave drive onto the PC. The old pc as a pc worl packard bell special so the program was pre-installed etc (no recovery disk!)???

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 01 Nov 2009

Difficult without the install files and as its an OEM cop then theoretically it died with the old machine.

You would have to copy all the folders to program files on the new machine and then find all the registry entries and transfer to the new registry, as I said NOT easy.

athertpa 12:37 01 Nov 2009

what is an oem cop?

canarieslover 12:59 01 Nov 2009

Was there a recovery partition on the hard drive? If so, can you see it when connected to new computer? If you can there is a chance that one of the folders on there will contain the install files for Works.

athertpa 13:12 01 Nov 2009

how do I check if i can see the partition?

athertpa 13:14 01 Nov 2009

In disk management on the ide hdd I can see:

6gb healthy primary partition, 180gb healthy active primary partition, and 9mb unallocated. Does this help?

canarieslover 13:29 01 Nov 2009

Probably the 6gb partition. On my machine it is called Recover and has several folders on it, one of which contains the pre-installed programs.

athertpa 19:32 01 Nov 2009

how do i access the 6gb partition?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?