How do I mount a drive

pj1664 14:05 12 May 2010

I am trying to help a friend who has a 98 installation drive but will not boot, he need all the pictures and documents so he can install them in his window 7. will i be able to install win 98 on the drive and use esus file recovery system to locate the lost files? is there a way around this?

canarieslover 14:26 12 May 2010

Try putting it in an external drive caddy. It doesn't matter that it won't boot as all he needs is to be able to see the files and transfer them.
f it's IDE then this will be suitable click here

kidsis 14:28 12 May 2010

my immediate thought was to borrow a usb 2.0 external caddy (for an ide drive)and see if the windows 7 computer will recognise the drive via usb, and the documents in it. obviously if it is the drive that is dead it wouldn't be recognised. As for recovery software I'm afraid I haven't used esus but I guess you could try. Hopefully others will chip in and maybe recommend software if it becomes necessary.

kidsis 14:29 12 May 2010

sorry canarieslover, I was too slow at typing today (not a good week healthwise)!!

pj1664 18:22 12 May 2010

Thanks guys I will try that, I might make the drive to slave and see if that works but my concern is if dosent mount then surely the system might not see it once it boots up!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 12 May 2010

All depends on why its not booting -
if its a corrupt windows file then as aslave or in a caddy you will see all the files.

If the drive has filed mechanically or electrically or MBR is corrupt then you will not see (mount) it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017