how do i make my wireless connection faster?

lonemascot 23:21 14 Oct 2005

I have just installed a new ad-hoc computer to laptop wireless network at my house.

I have bought 802.11g network cards for both machines and was expecting connection rates of 54mbps but i am only getting 11mbp.

The laptop is sharing the broadband connection which is directly connected by ethernet to the main computer.

How can i get it to go faster?

woodchip 23:23 14 Oct 2005

It's because you are only using Crossover cable. Get a Router Modem

lonemascot 23:27 14 Oct 2005

what is a crossover cable? can i not get faster transfer rates between the computers?

broadband is nice and fast so iam not trying to speed that up.

woodchip 23:30 14 Oct 2005

The cards are 10/100 and are not connected by cat cables so it defers to the 10 Speed If you get a Wireless Router Modem you will get full speed nearly even when wireless

lonemascot 23:32 14 Oct 2005

right ok then, what exactly is a router modem and what does it do?

woodchip 23:54 14 Oct 2005

This is what I use click here I have three computers connected Two by Ethernet wire direct to router Both are Desktops one Win98se One XP. and a XP Laptop wirelessly connected so I can move about the house with Laptop all work full speed and no need to Network them I can have one or all connected to the BB service without others being connected

Chegs ® 00:25 15 Oct 2005

Had a read around the net,it seems to be due to your setting of the LAN card in b mode,whereas you need to change it to g.

mgmcc 01:08 15 Oct 2005

The 802.11g standard supports 54Mbps data transfer speeds when wireless adapters are used in "Infrastructure" mode with a Wireless Access Point.

When used in "Ad Hoc" mode, the 802.11g standard only requires a connection speed of 11Mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?