How do i make my laptop wireless?

kittycatxxx 22:11 05 Nov 2007

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 which is not wireless. My pc is connected to the internet via Virgin modem...can i just buy a usb adaptor for my laptop and will it pick up the internet connection from my pc? Please help I have no idea!

ambra4 22:29 05 Nov 2007

Yes all you need to buy is a USB wireless adapter for the laptop, you would also need a wireless router for you to access the internet via your Virgin modem

ambra4 22:31 05 Nov 2007

what type of Virgin modem Cable or ASDL via the phone line

kittycatxxx 23:00 05 Nov 2007

I'm really not sure what type of virgin modem it is....(how do i find out?!)

ambra4 00:06 06 Nov 2007

How is it connected via the phone line or via a thick black cable

If via the phone line you have ASDL service if via a thick black cable you have a cable service

kittycatxxx 16:33 06 Nov 2007

It's connected via the phone line...!

ambra4 21:03 06 Nov 2007

You have two options to set up your wireless network

Option 1

Using your present modem you would just need to buy a Wireless DSL Router + USB Adapter Kit

It would be a lot easily for you if the router and the adapter were from the same company like the one listed below

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless DSL Router + USB Adapter

click here

With this option you would plug the Ethernet cable from the modem, which was connected, to your computer to the Wan port on the wireless router, connect a second Ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the computer Lan port

Once you have connected all the cable you need to configure the router, you will need to read the manual before trying to configure the router.

ambra4 21:04 06 Nov 2007

Option 2

You can remove your present modem and buy an all in one ASDL Modem Wireless Router and adapter as a kit like listed below

Buffalo Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Router Kit with Wireless USB Adapter

click here

With this option you would remove your present modem and install the new modem wireless router

Connect the phone line to the ASDL port at back of router; connect a Ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the computer Lan port

Once you have connected the cable you need to configure the router

You will need to read the manual before trying to configure the new ASDL Modem Wireless Router

You should take a read at this site it would help you to understand about wireless networking

click here

kittycatxxx 21:39 06 Nov 2007

Thank you so much for your great advice and tips ! x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?