How do I load an 1994 game onto my PC

sundodger 16:24 17 Dec 2008

Have recently aquired a 1994 copy of pga tour 486 and have attempted to load but am having no joy. States on instal info
1. insert the CD into CD-Drive

2. Change to your CD-ROM(usually D)from the MS-DOS prompt and type install.

It is from item 2 that I am LOST- I run Windows XP & am a "silver surfer" so any responces please keep as simple as possible.

Please help an old Man from pulling out his hair or what is left

scotty 16:31 17 Dec 2008

I am guessing that you are using windows XP. To get the MS-DOS prompt, go to Start, select Run and type cmd then press Enter. (Alternatively, Start, Programs, Accesories and select Command Prompt).

iscanut 16:34 17 Dec 2008

You should not need to access the MS Dos prompt window. Put Cd in the drive. Go to My Computer and click on the CD Drive ( probably D: ) Right click on it, choose Explore and look for the install file. Often Instal.exe or similar. Click on that and see what happens. You might also have a look at compatibility mode. Click on Start, Help & Support, then type in Compatibilty Mode in the search box and then click on Fix a Problem,
Getting older programs to run on Windows XP
Have a read and see if it helps. At the end of the day, the program may not run due to its age !

scotty 16:36 17 Dec 2008

I should have added - when you first get the MS-DOS prompt you will probably be somewhere on the C: drive. You need to change to the drive letter for your CD by typing D: and pressing Enter (Replace D with whatever letter is used for your CD drive).

You can check you have reached the correct drive by typing dir which will give you a directory listing of what is on that device.

iscanut 16:46 17 Dec 2008

I also should have added, try my method if you cannot get it to work via the Dos prompt. As this game was probably written for the very old 486 processor, it may not work now 14 years on !

sundodger 19:08 17 Dec 2008

Thanks for responses to my problem but I think the problem is that the game is too old 486 is the clue here-it sort of dropped into place when that was mentioned
Many thanks for rapid response

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?