How do i link 2 routers to extend wireless network

YinHoNg 22:25 17 Dec 2006

I would like to add a second wireless router to my home wireless network so i can boost the signal strength and speed.

My current setup is one wireless router supporting 2 PCs. However, the two PCs are far from the router and although i can browse the internet without problems, anything more intensive than that will make the wireless signal drops dramatically and thus the speed.

The two routers i have are:

1, 3Com Office Connect (this is the one already in use) click here

2, Linksys WAG54G

I have 2 PCs running Windows XP (usb adapters on both). I am on a 2MB broadband connection.

If anybody could give or point me to instructions on how to link these two routers, i'd be eternally grateful!

woodchip 22:34 17 Dec 2006

You cannot use two Routers. You need a Signal Booster for Wireless

YinHoNg 22:35 17 Dec 2006

Can I not use the second router as an access point? I thought this was possible?

woodchip 22:38 17 Dec 2006

Like this one click here

YinHoNg 22:42 17 Dec 2006

Thank you I'm reading about it now.

YinHoNg 07:57 18 Dec 2006

There are two options I see available to me.

1, I could purchase a Wireless Extender such as the one pointed out by Woodchip (tyvm), for ~£50.

Pros: doubles the range
Cons: HALVES the wireless speed/bandwith and also a bit expensive

2, (Since i have a spare wireless Router anyways), I could just connect two routers together using a normal CAT5/Ethernet/LAN cable and configure it so that it will work!

Pros: almost doubles the range WHILST keeping the wireless speed/bandwith. Relatively easy to set up.
Cons: If you have the second router on a different floor to the current one, you may have to drill holes through ceiling.

Since I have a spare router anyways, I've decided to try the second option as this seems like it fits my case better.

I hope this helps anyone else who's been in need of this.

Source of information: click here

YinHoNg 22:49 19 Dec 2006

I was wondering - is it possible to do this with 3 routers?! as in link the first one to the second and the second one with the third??

would this be much more complicated to set up?

YinHoNg 18:23 27 Dec 2006

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?