How Do I Limit Internet Bandwidth?

ksdp37 13:54 17 Jan 2006

Hi,
I've got a wireless ADSL router setup and the internet is shared between 3 computers.

Is there a way i can limit the bandwidth a computer can use? This is because when a user is downloading a file on one, it slows down the whole network, especailly the net.

Softstag 14:11 17 Jan 2006

That would depend on the router; normally this is not possible. You might be able to slow the wireless connection speed down in the properties of the wi-fi card in the machine you want to slow down. This again depends on the hardware.

Chegs ®™ 14:25 17 Jan 2006

Pity,I have 3 PC's on my wired network and recently setup a wireless connection for my partners sister who then proceeded to get me a "fair usage" warning email from my ISP for d/l nigh-on 4Gbs in less than 12 hours.I have disabled her connection totally as she just shrugged her shoulders when asked how big were the files she'd been d/l,and nearly got a thick lip for the "So!" response when I found out the actual data size.

Forum Editor 14:31 17 Jan 2006

on a network, but you need to use special routers, the high cost of which is normally unacceptable in a home network environment.

You can easily monitor bandwidth consumption for each machine on a WinXP network, but that's not the same thing.

Softstag 14:38 17 Jan 2006

You might be able to block certain ports for certain people so they can't use p2p programs. Alternatively you could set up a proxy server and configure that to limit bandwidth to individuals.

Gaz 25 15:38 17 Jan 2006

Draytek routers support this.. also some higher end £100 netgear switches support it too.

Otherwise click here will do the job for you.

Gaz 25 15:38 17 Jan 2006

By the way you need the pro version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?