How do I install a second Operating System on same

Ambasedor 15:33 21 Feb 2006

I have a dodgy C hard drive and want to install an operating system on my D drive which is blank and formated. When I try to install the os in this case xp will it ask me for the drive I wish to install on so that I can say the D drive or will it go over the existing instalation on the C drive? I then want to remove the dodgy C drive and work off the new one. I have tried installing with the current C drive dissabled but cant boot to install on the new one.

BurrWalnut 15:44 21 Feb 2006

Yes, it will then you select drive D.

BurrWalnut 15:49 21 Feb 2006

Having reread you query, if you have both drives installed you will create a dual-boot system.

The best way is to remove the old drive, set the new HDD to master (pins on the back of the drive) and install XP.

Once installed insert the old drive (slave setting) and copy your data across.

quack 15:53 21 Feb 2006

Remove the dodgy C drive and load the OS to the remaining drive having first set the drive to Master via jumpers on rear of drive. If you have any data on the original C drive set this drive to Slave via the jumpers on the rear of the drive and hang it from the same IDE lead as your new C Drive. On rebooting the machine you will find that your drives will still show as C & D but the C drive will be your new one. You can then copy and paste any data from D to C. Incidentally before loading XP onto your new drive go into BIOS (by pressing Delete when booting) and set the Boot Options to CDROM as first option setup will then run from the CD disk and you only have to follow the on screen instructions. You may also need your Mobo/Systems CD to reload all drivers but you do that after XP is loaded.

Ambasedor 16:27 21 Feb 2006

Hi Quack I have tried that but cant get in the PC to install So wanted to install on another drive before I removed original C HDD If Burr is right then I can install by selecting D and then remove the old C. I have backed up so no problem restoring data. If I have a dual-boot I presume it will resolve when I take out the old dodggy C drive.

Ambasedor 16:27 21 Feb 2006

Hi Quack I have tried that but cant get in the PC to install So wanted to install on another drive before I removed original C HDD If Burr is right then I can install by selecting D and then remove the old C. I have backed up so no problem restoring data. If I have a dual-boot I presume it will resolve when I take out the old dodggy C drive.

BurrWalnut 19:01 21 Feb 2006

If you set up a dual-boot on 2 HDDs you have to have the old drive present as it contains a number of files that have to be on C, notably boot.ini.

Follow what Quack said, set the BIOS to boot from CD and follow the install instructions.

quack 19:20 21 Feb 2006

If there are no screws in the back of the case to enable you get into the computer you will find that the front will pull off and screws holding the sides on will then be visible

Ambasedor 09:08 22 Feb 2006

I can get into the works bios etc but the problem is that with just the reformatted disc in as the master and on its own the pc does not let me boot to any point where i can reinstall.

quack 12:37 22 Feb 2006

I think we are at cross purposes here. Physically remove the sides of your computer and completely remove the old HDD from the machine by undoing the securing screws if you are not sure which drive is which look at the jumpers on the rear and remove the one that is set to Master. Set the remaining drive to Master by changing jumpers note which way the IDE cable is attached by making sure that the lined side of the IDE cable is placed closest to the power input cable and then carry out necessary work as previously suggested.

surfsteruk 15:14 22 Feb 2006

Take out and remove your C: hard drive.

Set the jumpers on Hard drive d: to master and connect it up.

Switch on your PC with the XP disk in the CD-Rom Drive.

Tap del or f1 to get into BIOS and set the CD-ROM to be the primary Boot device. Then save bios configuration and restart.

Upon restart, you should be able to boot from the XP disk now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?