How do I install new motherboard etc?

Emmitt 21:06 08 Jan 2007

Hi there,
I have an old PC which I bought over seven years ago, the PC packed in about a year ago and I replaced it with a new one. I decided I wanted to try and give the kiss of life to the old one. I bought a new mother board, CPU, 1Gig memory and a new power supply. I kept the DVD rom, the CD writer and two hard disks. When the PC packed in it was running Windows Millenium.
When I connected everything and powered up the PC for the first time, I received the following messages:

Not found any disk !! Please wait

It then gave the startup options
Normal
Safe Mode
MSDOS prompt

I tried both normal and safe mode, both times I get the following:
Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error
Use SCANREG to correct this error

I then get this message
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows.000\IFSHLP.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows.000\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the windows loader (eg C:\windows\system\VMM32.VXD
C>

No matter what I try I cannot get past the C> prompt.
As you may have guessed, this is the first time I have taken on such a task as this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Legolas 21:19 08 Jan 2007

You really need to do a clean install of your OS as the drivers on the harddrive are different from the ones you need so there is a conflict of software. As said a clean install should sort out the problems.

ventanas 21:21 08 Jan 2007

Echo what Legolas has said. Reinstall Windows and you should notice a difference.

Emmitt 21:30 08 Jan 2007

Thanks for the prompt replys.
I have put in a floppy and tried to format the hard drive but each time it comes back saying it does not recognise the commands.
I have also tried to put in the Windows CD and re-install, but it won't let me.

Technotiger 21:38 08 Jan 2007

Hi, try Fdisk ...

click here

Technotiger 21:39 08 Jan 2007
  skidzy 21:43 08 Jan 2007

Not 100% but you may have to format the drive in another machine using a caddy or slave the drive.

Emmitt 21:47 08 Jan 2007

Thanks Skidzy, I think you may be right, the present setup won't let me do anything. I will try that later in my other PC.

ashdav 00:09 09 Jan 2007

an easier way that avoids getting the screwdriver out is to wipe the hardrives in your old (new?) computer.
Download killdisk click here and save the file onto a working computer.
Run the program and create a floppy.
Put this floppy in the old computer and set the bios to boot from floppy first.
After following the prompts you will see a screen that shows the drives you want to wipe clean.
Use the down arrow on your keyboard and select 80H (this is C drive). Not the options immediately below it.
Run the program and afterwards do exactly the same for 81H (the other drive).
It can take some time depending on the speed of your computer (sometimes an hour) but you will end up with a completely clean hardrive.

terryf 00:36 09 Jan 2007

You only need to wipe 1 of your disks, the one you will use for C drive

ashdav 00:42 09 Jan 2007

Not strictly true as 80H (the C drive) is the one set as master and will be the one that Windows will try to install to.
Also we don't know what is installed where in the current setup so the safe route is to wipe everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?