how do i go about formating a DVD+RW

Tooling Enterpri 11:22 14 Aug 2007

Nero 7 ultra edition & Blaze media pro wil not write data to my discs they say the disc is not formated i can write cd-r dvd-r no problem
is there something wrong with my Sony DVD RW DW-U10A DVD/CD-R ?

johndrew 11:43 14 Aug 2007

Nothing wrong with your DVD-RW.

To use RW media it needs to be formatted first. Normal CDs/DVDs don`t need this because once written they stay that way.

To format a DVD-RW, open Nero. Select the DVD tab (top center of the window) go to the Data icon (looks like a page) and select `Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD` and follow the instructions.

Stuartli 11:50 14 Aug 2007

I very rarely use RW media, but I've never formatted it nor needed to.

It's normally done if you wish to use such a disk as a form of hard drive.

Tooling Enterpri 12:02 14 Aug 2007

I cant see this option please let me know where to look thanks

pj123 14:08 14 Aug 2007

I use DVD and CD RW discs and as Stuartli says I have never formatted them. There is no need to format them. Just use them like a DVD-R and use Nero in Multisession mode.

But if you really do want to format them you will need something like Nero InCD. I don't use Nero 7 anymore as I had and awful lot of problems with it, went back to Nero 6.

So I don't know whether InCD is part of the Nero 7 package. If not, you should be able to download a version from the Nero website.

johndrew 16:37 14 Aug 2007

I use Nero 6 but presume 7 is similar.

As is said above, it is usual for InCD to format in the background but in Nero 6 you can also directly format by going into Nero StartSmart, check DVD (or CD/DVD) is selected at the top centre, place the pointer over the Data icon (looks like a page) and select `Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD` and follow the instructions.

If you don`t currently have InCD you can download click here and there is a user guide click here

Hope this helps.

pj123 18:53 14 Aug 2007

johndrew, I just looked at your instructions and I also don't have "Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD"
so I don't think you are correct.

Stuartli 19:07 14 Aug 2007

Do you mean SmartStart?

Your suggestion isn't included in Nero6.

Stuartli 19:07 14 Aug 2007

Even under Advanced toggling.

Stuartli 19:08 14 Aug 2007

Just seen earlier postings - I don't have InCD installed..:-)

Stuartli 19:08 14 Aug 2007

Just seen earlier postings - I don't have InCD installed..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?