How do I get started setting up website/learn html

NickyK 14:32 04 Feb 2005

I want to set up a simple website so that I can learn as it grows. But I haven't a clue how to get started. Is there a "beginners'"-type resource I can use that isn't going to cost the GDP of a third world country? Basically, I'm thinking of blog with heplful links and a very good recipe for pheasant.

Also, do I need to learn HyperText Markup Language, and if so, how do I do that easily and costlessly?

NickyK 14:54 04 Feb 2005

PS. I have been offered Namo WebEditor 4 for free. Would this be a good place to start?

NickyK 21:11 04 Feb 2005

Solved this by posting a simpler question on the main help forum. Not to worry.

PurplePenny 22:51 04 Feb 2005

Oh .. I'd just come to answer you. I'll answer anyway.

Namo WebEditor has been recommended on here but it is up to version 6 now so I don't know how good version 4 is (but since you've been offered it you might as well give it a go).

NetObjects Fusion (which comes highly recommended on here) is available as a free trial on this month's PC Advisor coverdisc.

Nvu is free: click here but a word of warning - the current build appears to have a problem with publishing (uploading files to your web site) judging from the sudden number of posts on the subject on its user forums.

If you want to learn a bit of background HTML the W3Schools tutorial is a good place to start: click here

tezza80 15:12 08 Feb 2005

visit <a href="click here">html goodies</a> for tips on learning html.

Possibly the best resource for web developers at the moment is <a href="click here">sitepoint.com</a>

as mentioned above, the W3 schools are very good, after all, the chairman of the W3C practically invented the WWW!

You can use any text-editor (like notepad or msword) to edit html pages. I use the code editor features in Macromedia Dreamweaver, as it colour-codes your markup making it easier to read. You can also create templates, and it is good forhelping you to manage all of the files in your site. In fact, its probably the best bit of web editing software available. On the down side, its not cheap!

Good luck and have fun.

tezza80 15:16 08 Feb 2005

if its a blog you are after try click here of blogger.com

youu wont need to learn much html at all if you use these

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?