How do i get rid of unwanted folder

theDarkness 03:03 08 Sep 2008

The folder i want to get rid of is on the my computer screen click here but when i select it with the mouse, nothing happens- so does anyone know how i can get rid of it? Right clicking on the icon only allows me to 'open' or 'explore'. Open does nothing, exploring it just opens up a new window showing me the desktop. There might be something i can do in the registry to get rid of this meaningless folder displaying itself, but i dont know what. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Taff™ 07:29 08 Sep 2008

I would be very careful with this one particularly because of where it is. Annoying it may be. Can you alter the View and choose details and post back the properties of this folder. They should appear at the bottom of the window.

In any other circumstance I would recommend Killbox click here but this folder is probably best left alone until someone can identify it`s relevance.

Technotiger 07:49 08 Sep 2008

You could run Ccleaner click here (in its default form), if it is a registry hiccup, this could sort it.

click here is useful with vista, it will tell you what its linked to and you can either unlock it or delete it (very useful with windows old, or random stubborn folders that seem to appear from nowhere), as said check what it is first

theDarkness 21:34 08 Sep 2008

thanks for all the suggestions. Ccleaner cannot find any problems. i tried killbox, but after selecting the unnamed file, the path remains empty- so i cannot choose to remove anything. I have unlocker, right clicking on the folder i want to delete only lets me choose to either explore, create a shortcut or open, so i cant choose to unlock even when unlocker is installed. opening and exploring do absolutely nothing, the file flickers but little else. Windows tells me it cannot create a shortcut if i also try to select that option. there must be a way other than reinstalling windows- any other ideas?!? thanks

Technotiger 21:50 08 Sep 2008

If the folder has only been showing recently, perhaps a System Restore might get rid of it.

Have you recently installed anything prior to the folder appearing.

john bunyan 21:53 08 Sep 2008

theDarkness. Try deleting it in safe mode.

Joe R 22:00 08 Sep 2008

Have you tried logging on as an administrator, taking ownership of the folder and then deleting the folder?

theDarkness 22:19 08 Sep 2008

if i remember correctly i think it was the result of running a virtual drive that wasnt 100% compatible. I uninstalled it, but it couldnt have gone through the process fully. It was a fair while back, so ive no luck in being able to restore to a date any earlier. Running in safe mode and taking ownership as admin for deletion just does the same-nothing! :(

skidzy 22:23 08 Sep 2008

Can you create another folder on your desktop and drag this problem folder into this and try deleting.

Technotiger 22:25 08 Sep 2008

click here run this in the Hunter mode, look for anything at all to do with the virtual drive installation, with a view to deleting/completing the un-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?