How do I get rid of Spywarestrike's nasty links?

rmcqua 21:51 05 Jan 2006

Hello fellows,
Somehow (don't ask me how, I thought his PC was safe) my son has managed to get infected by "Spyware Strike." I have run AVG antivirus, SpyBot and MS Antispyware Beta but still I get the "system intrusion warning" balloon, accompanied by annoying little sounds like water drips. Whenever the PC connects to broadband, I am immediately led to a site that tries to sell me SpywareStrike antivirus tool.
Anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get rid of it, please, before it drives me nuts?!
Thanks.

Skyver 21:55 05 Jan 2006

Try Ewido click here
If it's a variant of Spyaxe/smitfraud you may want to look here first for a removal tool ; click here

VoG II 22:00 05 Jan 2006

Instructions for Ewido:

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen.
You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked.
Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds.
Choose Clean.Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections' . Doing this, enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

Spyaxe and other removal click here

MONKEY MEDICS 02:20 06 Jan 2006

I have this also, I have run AVAST, spybot, adaware, and macafee.... phew !!! and this thing is still pissing me off !

the stranget thing is, is that there is no results from google when you type SpywareStrike in...

1 (in spanish) on alta vista... and the above fellow all dated today !!!! so i think i am going to turn my computer off for a few days and let a few nerdy guys (you are my hero's) figure this one out, and i will be back in a couple of days to see what the fix is....

rmcqua 07:28 06 Jan 2006

Thanks for the suggestions , guys. Tried Ewido and it found 39 items that MS and Spybot had not ! Amazing !
However, problem persists.
Will try the specific Spyaxe fix when I get home this evening.
Thanks again.

rmcqua 11:52 06 Jan 2006

Anyone else been bitten by the SpywareStrike nasty?

Graham ® 13:20 06 Jan 2006

'a few nerdy guys'? MONKEY MEDICS has gone on the list.

Glyn-252301 15:01 06 Jan 2006

What did I miss? "gone on the list"

MONKEY MEDICS 16:21 06 Jan 2006

Oh come on... what ? are you going to call me, an intellectalist ?

Clearly all i meant was that I was going to leave this up to the techo geeks that are better at this stuff than me.... while I go to social functions and zany stuff like that !

see what i did there ?

MONKEY MEDICS 19:19 06 Jan 2006

if you do a search for spywarestrike on this forum, you will hit a few people with the same problem... the fixes seems to be good...

good luck

MONKEY MEDICS 20:55 06 Jan 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?