How do I get rid of Norton?

Teknofobb 18:33 17 Apr 2009

Hello I bought my laptop a few years ago and it came with Norton AntiVirus Software already installed. I think it has since gone out of date because it asks me to renew all the time, it still performs scans without being asked, and is generally a pain. I think it slows down my computer too.

I've heard it can be tricky to get rid of it though. Does anyone know how to do this?

I have Windows Service Pack 2
Windows Defender
SpyBot

And I'm thinking of downloading AVG and Zonealarm (sp?).

Would that be enough to protect my computer if I can get rid of Norton?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pine Man 18:36 17 Apr 2009
  Teknofobb 18:38 17 Apr 2009

Thanks PineMan

How do I protect my computer without Norton though? Would it be enough to download AVG and something like Zonealarm?

Teknofobb 18:47 17 Apr 2009

Excuse my ignorance but how do I even know what Norton software I have? I have been looking at the properties of these programs and can't figure out what version they are etc. I have no idea how to get rid of this product from my computer!!

Pine Man 18:51 17 Apr 2009

AVG and Zone Alarm will be fine.

Open your Norton AV and find somewhere called 'about' or similar which will show you what version you have.

Teknofobb 18:54 17 Apr 2009

Okay I've got 2006 version, so have gone through the steps on the symantic link... However I have neither a product key or a Norton Accoumt, as this product came already installed on my computer. DO I need the product key to get rid of Norton? Thanks

brundle 18:58 17 Apr 2009

No, you don't. Any advice you see regarding product keys is intended to remind people who just want to remove and reinstall their paid-for Norton to keep the product key safe or make a note of it. Though I recall that Norton products usually create a folder with the product key in it during uninstallation.

Teknofobb 22:56 17 Apr 2009

Thanks! I think I have got rid of it... Have read on other forums that it is pretty difficult to get rid of, so will have a look around. Thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?