How do I get rid of Direct Dialer

User-324448 11:27 29 Jan 2009

My old pal goes onto the computer when he has trouble at night sleeping, he has clicked on an american site which downloaded adirect dialer Icon, I can neither delete this desk top icon or get rid of it,if he clicks it it costs him £20 + a time I have tried Adaware and spy bot with no luck. Any help gratefully recieved. Thanks once moe .Prof

woodchip 11:43 29 Jan 2009

Is he on Dial-Up Connection? in Internet Connections he should turn on Never Dial a Connection This can be found in Control Panel

ambra4 11:52 29 Jan 2009

Install SpywareBlaster and keep updated

click here

SpywareBlaster is a prevention program, unlike most anti-spyware programs which utilize a
"Removal" approach after your system is already infected.

SpywareBlaster effectively prevents ActiveX-based spyware, dialers, browser-hijackers and
other Malware or potentially unwanted programs from ever installing on your system in the first
place.

Many users employ a multi-layered "prevent and remove" strategy by using anti-spyware
removal utilities in combination with SpywareBlaster protection

I would also suggest he download update and run the following programs

a-squared Free 4.0

click here

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

click here

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

click here

User-324448 11:56 29 Jan 2009

he is on Broadband and I have his system at the side of me now (not connected to the Router tho. Compairing his Internet Properties with mine he has like myself got Freeserve Anytime as his default but unlike mine he has two other things listed-- ukgolwla2x_Connection and another XXXSERVER both of these I suspect could be iffy and need removing, Never dial a connection is ticked, I also need to remove the icons on desk top, I drag them to the recycle bin but they come back when re booting

User-324448 12:02 29 Jan 2009

I will install the Programs you suggested when I take his system back but I want it cleaned up first and I am very reluctant to mess with it here at my place while connected to the Router £20 could by me other things. I have looked at the MegaXXX and it shows two good looking but rude ladies, Im past that damn it.

RobCharles1981 12:03 29 Jan 2009

Open up msconfig

Start
Run

In the box type msconfig
start up tab
see if its there.

If I was you follow ambra4's advise it would help loads.

Run at update them and scan in safemode.

User-324448 12:09 29 Jan 2009

Yes its there, all the boxes are ticked so do I need to untick MegaXXX and if so what will that do?

birdface 12:11 29 Jan 2009

maybe try control panel.network connections,Any connection on there that should not be there remove it.Or maybe Taskmanager.Users and if any users on there that should not be remove them.The same with applications anything running on there that should not be remove it.

Terry Brown 12:12 29 Jan 2009

Better than MSconfig is Starter click here which gives you more control over what does and does not start on boot time.
Yes, The program is Freeware

Terry

birdface 12:22 29 Jan 2009

I would use some of ambra4 click here's they should delete any problems that your friend has, I would imagine just unticking them in msconfig will probably not work as they will probably restart at the next boot up.

User-324448 12:40 29 Jan 2009

What I have done (and its worked) I typed in msconfig, unticked the box at the side of megaXXX and clicked "apply" then I dragged the desktop icon into the recycle bin & restarted the computer.This time the icon did not re appear so I have emptyed the bin and I hope all will be well. When I take it back to the old bugger, I will install all the spy ware items suggested. MANY MANY thanks to all of you. Im 10 years younger than my old mate and have leant a lot this morning. Prof.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?