How do I get my USB camera to work ?

Furkin 13:33 09 Mar 2014

Hi Guys,

I have just plugged a USB camera into my machine,,,, but I can’t see how to get it to ‘show’ the results.

It’s a cheap camera that I bought when my Son went abroad.

When I plugged it in, the USB message popped up saying ‘Installing usb item’ etc.

In C.P > Device manager it pops up as Imaging Devices: USB 2 PC Camera + Driver supplied by Microsoft [dated 2006 ! – but says its up-to-date]

In C.P > Devices & Printers – it also shows up, so the machine knows its there. All I need to do now, is view through the camera lens.

There is no on/off button on the camera, and it worked with my previous machine, but I can’t recall how to work it.

Any ideas please ?

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE.11 : Win 7 ult (32) + Avast : MS Essentials : Malwarebytes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 09 Mar 2014

You will need some software that can access the camera, such as Skype.

rickf 14:05 09 Mar 2014

Go to my computer and double click the card installed from the camera. You can then open to view files.

john bunyan 14:07 09 Mar 2014

What is the storage on the camera? If an SD card it is far easier to get a card reader (about £5, ASDA etc) then download from that. Do you have any photo software? A good free one is Paint.net see: Paint.net

Not sure what you mean by viewing through the camera lens? BTW do format SD cards on the camera, not on the PC

Furkin 14:27 09 Mar 2014

Thanks guys,

F.B: I do have Skype,,,, but no longer use it (never learnt really).

Rick: It doesn't show up in Computer.

J.B: Its a simple plug0in usb video camera, no memory, cards, I do understand about formatting - not an issue here. Most remote items are formatted to FAT/FAT32,,,,, whereas my machine is NTSF - so I do have to watch for that. Viewing through the lens: I was hoping to plug the unit in, it becomes 'live' & I can see what the lens see's, on my monitor.

I seem to have an infection in my ear, & I wanted to try looking at it via this camera.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:32 09 Mar 2014

With the camera plugged in and drivers installed

Try

skype - tools - video settings

you should see a picture of whatever the camera is pointing at.

Woolwell 09:38 10 Mar 2014

Is this a webcam?

Woolwell 09:39 10 Mar 2014

Do you really have Avast and MS Essentials? If you have Avast then get rid of MS Essentials as you should not have 2 anti-virus programs.

alanrwood 11:25 10 Mar 2014

To use a web cam as a live camera you need to install a webcam program. There are several free ones around but a simple one is AMCap.exe the early versions of which are free and at 92KB not a very large program.; Check on Google for a download.

Just a point, will your webcam focus down to the short distance you would need to look in your ear in any detail or have a good enough resolution.

Furkin 12:12 14 Mar 2014

*Once again - apologies for the delay. I don't always get notifications of replies.*

The camera itself seems to be working, as the LEDs shine when plugged in.

WW: Thanks - must change my signature details. I did dump MS-Essentials, in favour of Avast. I guess its a Web Cam. Its just a tiny clip-on unit, with usb lead.

FB: Will give that a shot shortly. I did see a tiny image using Skype, but not good enough for my purpose.

A.W: Thanks. I'll look for such a prog when I get home. I don't think it came with a disc or any drivers. I'm clutching at straws, but thought it worth a try. It may come to nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cheers

BT 12:31 14 Mar 2014

I seem to have an infection in my ear

Surely the best solution would be to get a proper opinion from the Doctor or nurse at your surgery !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?