how do i get my sound card to work

nonowtatall 16:32 02 Oct 2006

just recently i i upgraded to a bigger hd and did a clean format then reistalled windows 98 se every thing went fine till i try the sound it only shows a yellow question mark where it should be and no matter how i tell it to look and install driver etc it cannot what disc will the sound card be on as i have installed the mother board card umteen times to correct it any ideas

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 02 Oct 2006

Do you know what sort of sound card it is?

Is is onboard (built in) sound?

What motherboard? Many come with seperate audio drivers which can be downloaded from manufacturer site.

nonowtatall 19:47 02 Oct 2006

i think it is built in my motherboard is a what the Belarc advisor says is a GA INC. ALADDIN5 VER;1.0 AND I HAVE AN MATROX MYSTIQE INSTALATION DISC ON THE BELARC ADVISOR IT DOES NOT MENTION AUDIO IT SAYS FOR MULTIMEDIA NON DETECTED

Diodorus Siculus 19:58 02 Oct 2006

I think that you will have to find the identity of the motherboard somehow - when booting the pc, do you get told what it is?

I think it is a GigaByte but am not sure. What is the make / model of thePC?

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 02 Oct 2006

When booting you may see something like

GA - 5XX

If you can get the info after the GA it would be helpful.

nonowtatall 20:09 02 Oct 2006

if i cant find it on the boot start up will it be wrote on the actual board if so i can go in and look for it also if it is not regestering can i put a sound card in place of it i think i might have one if i knew what they looked like

Diodorus Siculus 20:11 02 Oct 2006

You can put one in but will have to go into the BIOS to disable the on board sound.

I'm sure you know what they look like - generaly will have some coloured outputs on the backing plate.

Diodorus Siculus 20:11 02 Oct 2006

And you may find some identifying data on the motherboard to help you find out what it is.

skidzy 20:25 02 Oct 2006

As Belarc did not recognised the sound card,maybe try Everest click here

skidzy 20:27 02 Oct 2006

Or SIW click here

nonowtatall 21:01 02 Oct 2006

success in that bit it says GA 5AA ver 1.3.busy down loading Everest and SIW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?