How do I get my PC to connect to the internet

tonyp1234 21:52 05 Nov 2014

I am trying to get my HP dc7700 to connect to the internet having reinstalled Windows XP Pro on it. When I run the Network driver downloaded from the HP site, I get the message "no intel nw connections found on this computer." What do I need to download/run in order to proceed further?

beeuuem 23:05 05 Nov 2014

Have you installed the motherboard drivers? It is possible that the network adaptor is not working. Can you see the network adaptor in Device Manager. Also from click here 'Some NIC drivers from HP will not install from the downloaded executable. The only thing the SPxxxx.exe does is extract the files in the folder c:\swsetup\SPxxxx

What you have to do is install the driver from device manager, right click the not installed network card and choose to update driver, in the wizard select that you want to install it manually. Then you can select a location,. Browse to the folder where the files were extracted. There it will find the driver and will install it. '

tonyp1234 18:48 07 Nov 2014

Thank you very much for this advice. I have since found that I re-installed Windows incorrectly and am now fixing this. Once done, I will follow your advice and post again if further help needed. Many thanks.

beeuuem 18:55 07 Nov 2014

Good luck !

Jollyjohn 14:43 08 Nov 2014

Note - if you have re installed XP from scratch you will have Internet Explorer 6 installed by default. On a separate PC you will need to download IE8 and install it. Only the will XP connect properly and allow updates to be downloaded.

If you do not already have it saved, I would also look for Service Pack 3, download, save to a usb stick and install.

tonyp1234 18:01 15 Nov 2014

I'm back again on my quest to get this particular pc on the network that I am fixing, working. I checked another HP dc7700 ultra slim desktop and found the type of network card it had. I then found a driver for this and installed it from a USB stick on the computer I am trying to resurrect. This worked fine. On a different computer,I went to the HP site to look for a network driver which I think that I also need. I found a few but have not yet managed to get one to work. I notice that whereas on other computers on the network I am administering, there are the two tiny screens showing at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, but they are not showing on the computer that I am trying to get working. Does this indicate a lack of full connectivity? (When I check the network connection it says it is connected.) When I tried to activate the Win XP Pro that I earlier installed it says it can't connect. So am I missing another type of driver here, in addition to the one that I installed for the card?

Jollyjohn 18:45 15 Nov 2014

What is listed in Device Manger under Network Adapters?

What results do you get from ipconfig?

Can you ping google.co.uk?

tonyp1234 18:54 15 Nov 2014

Whilst I was waiting for an answer on this, a colleague came by and I found that the problem was that the proxy server that was being used, was inhibiting the connectivity. So, I temporarily bypassed it, and have now managed to activate Windows and am continuing the "checking for updates" process. Hopefully that will now work. I will post again if I get stuck. Thanks for your reply Jollyjohn.

lotvic 18:59 15 Nov 2014

To display a network connection icon on the taskbar (the two tiny screens showing at the bottom right) ClickHere

1.Open Network Connections

2.Under LAN or High-Speed Internet, click the network connection to be displayed on the taskbar. Then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3.On the General tab, click the Show icon in taskbar notification area when connected check box.

tonyp1234 19:39 15 Nov 2014

Thanks lotvic, done and I can now see the tiny screens!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?