How do I FORMAT PC Hard Drive

johnpalmer 14:37 12 Apr 2006

I have recently bought a new PC, and need to format and re-install Windows ME, due to problems, on my old Mesh PC.

I have the CD for ME and all the drivers, but how do I start the formatting process.

The computer is currently running on XP, but it turns out the Windows XP CD I purchased is in fact a 'moody' copy.

As the computer was originally supplied with ME, I want to restore it to the original setup.

Any advice greatly apreciated

Cheers

Stuartli 14:42 12 Apr 2006
  Eric half-a-bee 14:44 12 Apr 2006

Go into your BIOS settings (accessed by a one or some of several key combinations - try Goggling if you can;t find it easily) and change first boot device to CD. Restart and if necessary "Press any key to boot from CD..." Formatting (and partitioniing) is part of the installation process.

Pineman100 15:34 12 Apr 2006

Sorry if this is obvious, but do remember that formatting your hard drive will destroy everything on it. That includes all your software and your data files.
Be sure to back up data, and check that you've got all your software and driver CDs before you do it.

woodchip 15:59 12 Apr 2006

If it's a NTFS file system, You will have to first use Killdisk. Then you can use a WinME or Win98se boot floppy to format and Partition drive

The Free one click here

Boot disc click here

woodchip 16:00 12 Apr 2006

PS if you need to know how to use the Boot floppy. Post

Stuartli 16:03 12 Apr 2006

My second link provides all this type of advice.

It's easier to suggest an appropriate link as it's more simple than typing it all out and, even then, you could miss an important point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone