How do I flash upgrade my DVD Writer?

Longsightboy 16:29 17 Oct 2003

Just bought a Lite-on LDW-401S 4x DVD+R/RW writer for my PC (I already have a Ricoh MP5125 2.4x DVD+R/RW writer in my 2nd PC)

The problem is, the 4x discs I got with the writer burn @ the quoted 4 speed but, the various branded discs I have bought since only write @ 2.4x

I have been told I need to flash the firmware on the drive so, I downloaded the small zip file containing the update but, there were no instructions on how to do this with the program.

System specs

Windows XP Professional (service pack 1)
1GB of SDRAM
Athlon 1.4 CPU
Two 120 Gig 7200 Hard Drives
16x DVD-ROM drive
64MB GeForce 4MX graphics card

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Longsightboy

woodchip 16:36 17 Oct 2003

?Dangerous? I know that you have to disconnect all EIDE drive other than the one you are flashing, but rather you than me. It is done from a floppy disc

MichelleC 16:38 17 Oct 2003

You need to unzip the file (winzip or similar), turn off non-vital b/g progs and install (if it's an install prog), or if it's just a driver unzip to a folder which you can navigate to, to then install via device manager.

woodchip 16:39 17 Oct 2003

try double click on the Zip file and you should have a clean floppy disc in the drive when you do so. check then to see if it created a start disc there may be a readme file on, in the zip file

y_not 17:30 17 Oct 2003

Don't know for the Lite-on but I flashed my NEC a few days ago.

Downloaded the file, unzipped and it simply updated the firmware - don't switch off or mess with the drive whilst its flashing. Reboot and thats it.

Firmware 1.05 up to firmware 1.8

Seems a lot of people warn about the rights and wrongs - realised that the times come to read what they say then make an informed decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?