how do I fix this mess in appearance & personalisation

laptopdunce 20:00 20 Feb 2015
Answered

I have been trying to alter the backgorund colours in Appearance and personalisation, (I have no idea that the actual headings mean) so I changed everything to white on my Toshiba laptop and now I cant see anything, even shutting it down and turning it back on means I cant get any desktop page as everything is white, how can I get it back to its orginal state?? What a mess I have made of this!! I thought I would be able to start with a plain neutral background and then add the different tones to make the various tings stand out in contrasting colours, I cant believe I have made such a b**ls of this with no idea how to fix it, thnaks LAPTOPDUNCE

lotvic 20:10 20 Feb 2015

I'm having a hard time believing you have done this. When I have finished wiping the tears from my eyes and manage to get up off the floor I will try to help you.

wee eddie 20:18 20 Feb 2015

Open in Safe Mode.

rdave13 20:21 20 Feb 2015

Try tapping F8 on start up. Hopefully you'll get the basic video graphics and won't be white. Change the settings if you can see anything.

laptopdunce 20:26 20 Feb 2015

going to try this, I know, its utter insanity, I wonder if anyone else has done this before?? Laptopdunce

rdave13 20:30 20 Feb 2015

I wonder if anyone else has done this before??, good question. Once you've fixed it then try googling your question.

laptopdunce 20:33 20 Feb 2015

It wont let me open it in F8, it just keeps going to the start up screen, I do get my own little start up photo showing and I can kinda navigate with the mouse to put the 4 fig pincode in (not a password) then I do get my own desktop page but when I try to go to control panel its very hit and miss as its all in white, can find control panel and personalisation but its too difficult to even try and get one colour changed, what a mess!!

rdave13 20:36 20 Feb 2015

Is this win 7? Sometimes it can be F5.

laptopdunce 20:39 20 Feb 2015

yes, I think it is a windows 8, it is a toshiba C50-AD-180, there is hardly any labels on it, but I think it could be windows 8.

lotvic 20:45 20 Feb 2015

Is this Toshiba Windows 8 or 8.1? You may have problem getting it to boot into Safe Mode just by pressing F8, Read this page and No:5 www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-8.1

No:5 Use F8 or Shift + F8 (doesn't work when using UEFI BIOS & SSDs)

laptopdunce 20:54 20 Feb 2015

Its a windows 8.1 - I have managed to get into a recovery page which gives lots of options, so I have opted for "reset computer" they give a full wipe option if you are getting rid of the computer or a "reset" option if you are keeping it, I only use this laptop for printing and making ebay labels so I can reload any docs and photos and programmes I use later, I just it brings back the thing to its original settings before I messed it up like this, will let you know, God what a pain!! All this began when I loaded a programme and it altered all the colours of the backgrounds etc., so I was messing about trying to get the contrast settings back and thats why I changed it all to white so I could figure out what the descriptions actaually mean as I added one colour on top of another but I didnt realise it would make everything unseeable. laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?