How do I find Wireless Network Connection Manager

Damarc 12:15 05 Dec 2008

I've got this far with setting up with Sky and am up and running on the main computer. now I want to go wireless with my laptop. But according to Sky's booklet I have to find the wireless icon. I have a Dell laptop and there is a switch at the side to turn wireless on/off. When I turn it on, a wireless icon briefly appears on the screen at the bottom and I then have the availability to connect to networks. However there is no WNCM in that particular dialogue box. Sky then says to try desktop [not there], and control panel. In Network connections in control panel I still can't find WNCM anywhere to put in ssid number and network key. Where in Vista do I find this? There is a Dell Wireless WLAN utility card but that give me Link status with nothing I can change, Site monitor - which gives me close wireless connection addresses, diagnostics and information, which again I can't change anything. So how do I find the bit to put the WPA security protocol and the id number?

cream. 14:14 05 Dec 2008

control panel > network and sharing centre > on the left hand side pick connect to a network. It should see the router and connect. You will then be asked for the wpa key.

Or right click the wireless icon and connect to a network. Pick your routers name ( ssid ) and then put in the key.

Damarc 16:27 05 Dec 2008

thank you. I'm now typing wireless!

cream. 22:05 05 Dec 2008

Good.:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?