How do I find the volume label for a drive?

NewestRoyWidd1 13:10 09 Nov 2008

Hello,I'm trying to convert a hdd partition from FAT32 to NTFS.
I've managed so far to convert one partition,and now wish to do the same to the other one on that drive.Using command prompts,it's asking me for the volume label for that drive,but I have no idea where to find that.
The drive letter is E,and the partition is named E(STORAGE)(F).I've looked in PC Wizard 2008,but all that gives is the drive serial number,which isn't recognised in the DOS command.
Could someone please help regarding finding the volume label?

bremner 13:15 09 Nov 2008

At run type cmd - then at the prompt type vol e:

NewestRoyWidd1 13:28 09 Nov 2008

I've tried your suggestion and got labels for both E and F partitions,but they aren't being recognised in the DOS commands.Many thanks though.
Anyone else got ideas please?

DieSse 13:32 09 Nov 2008

Open My Computer - right click on the drive - select properties.

It's the name that appears next to the drive icon at the top. Yours is possibly (STORAGE)(F).

If the box is empty (which it can be) - My Computer usually identifies it as Local Disk.

PS - You should never use a drive letter in a Volume Name (as in "storageF" for instance), as Windows can shuffle drive letters around, and it will get confusing.

DieSse 13:34 09 Nov 2008

I would suggest you change the Volume Label then - just type a new one into the label box next to the icon, as above - without parentheses.

NewestRoyWidd1 14:16 09 Nov 2008

Excellent!Your suggestion worked perfectly,it just took time to convert the drive,being 50GB.
Both you and bremner have added greatly to my knowledge too,for which I thank you.
Will tick as resolved now,once again,many thanks.
NRW1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?