How do I find my PC's configuration?

newbie49 18:10 27 Apr 2008

I'm a newbie, and not very techie savvy so please bear with me. I have Windows XP Home installed on my PC. Not had any problems until Friday when out of the blue the letters NTDLR is missing appeared when my PC booted up. No amount of pressing ctrl, alt, delete, helped got me anywhere so I bought a copy of Spotmau. It has got back all my documents - everything looks completely normal - but now, after booting up I get the message invalid boot ini loading from c:Windows. I went into msconfig and there doesn't seem to be a boot ini file anymore in the block that used to come up with System, start up etc. I contacted Spotmau and they have emailed me, saying, Can you tell me the hardware configuration and the file system of your computer (all the info about your computer would be best) How do I give them this - where do I find it?
Maggie

brundle 18:16 27 Apr 2008

If you have an XP CD it's easily fixed; click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 27 Apr 2008

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Invalid Boot.ini click here

Switcher 18:34 27 Apr 2008

^

newbie49 18:57 27 Apr 2008

I'm afraid I don't have one. My PC came preloaded with Windows XP when I bought it. All I have is a recovery disk which I believe would wipe everything if I used it - yes?
Maggie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 27 Apr 2008

I believe would wipe everything if I used it - yes?

Not necessarily, depends on the machine.

Have you tried booting from the CD and see what options it gives you, Medions give three different options only the last reverts everything to original settings.

brundle 19:08 27 Apr 2008

Recovery disk - quite likely. Try a boot.ini fix in Windows; click here
Or did you mean the Boot.ini tab is missing entirely?

2neat 19:38 27 Apr 2008

Did you get your PC from Dell?
If so, ask for the disks; I did & they sent them next day FOC!

newbie49 20:18 27 Apr 2008

Yup, it's not there at all now, and I bought the PC from our local co-op - they had a big sale some 3 years ago, but now don't sell PC's. Am I stuffed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 27 Apr 2008

This may simply be a file permissions issue. You can verify that by typing C:\Boot.ini in Start, Run dialog. If you get Access Denied or similar error, that explains the problem.

Here is another obscure possibility:

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file

In the right-pane, delete the value named Boot.ini (if found)

Close Registry Editor and open MSCONFIG.

newbie49 20:39 27 Apr 2008

OK, I typed in C:\Boot.ini in Start, Run dialog. and I got a message saying <<Windows couldn't find C:\Boot ini>>. I then did as you said with regedit, backing up the file by exporting it to a reg file, but there was no Boot.ini or value to delete. I've closed Registry editor and have opened msconfig but there's no boot ini tab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?