How do I fax from my computer?

How do I fax from my computer? I have XP Pro and have a broadband connection but I do have a phoneline next to my computer so I can use that. A step by step guide would be most helpful. Thanks

Axii9 10:11 23 Jun 2004

Here you go, I just copied and pasted this from my 'using fax' help section.

Using FaxFax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

Fax is not installed by default during Windows Setup.

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.
For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console.

Axii9 10:15 23 Jun 2004

I have just done the above myself and need to know how to send faxes abroad.

It seems set to send only to the UK. I can't see where you would change this setting from.

I just realised I haven't got a modem! Don't suppose I can do it now?

pj123 10:25 23 Jun 2004

You cannot send faxes using Broadband. You need an analogue modem. I use Supervoice (a fax programme which comes free on most modem installation CDs)

Graham ® 10:33 23 Jun 2004
  Jackcoms 11:05 23 Jun 2004

Does your PC not have an on-board dial-up modem?

If it does you're half way there

Re-connect your dial-up modem to the telephone end of your BB splitter/filter and you can then send faxes or make voice calls at the same time that your BB connection is on.

No it doesn't because I built it from scratch and seeing as I had broadband I didn't think I would need one - until now!!!

Jackcoms 11:12 23 Jun 2004

A visit to PC World, then??!!

jbaker65 11:30 23 Jun 2004

PC World!!!!! please don't swear on line.

jack 12:12 23 Jun 2004

Swearing PCW is swearing?
Well I guess you are right
Howabout your next regional computer fair
A tenner will get you a reasonable one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?