How do I extend 'C' system partition?

ame 14:19 04 Feb 2010

I am trying to sort out my daughter's pc which was wrecked by viruses, I think. I have ended up with 7.81Gb of unallocated space at the left hand side, then 22.23Gb of NTFS-formatted C drive where I've just reinstalled Xp Home, then another 44.49Gb of unallocated space to the right. Right-clicking on the C volume does not give me an "extend" option. Diskpart notes say I cannot extend system drive. Is there not a way to get all of the drive allocated as C? I tried paragon partition manager free version but couldn't do it with that either.

Jollyjohn 15:13 04 Feb 2010

Using Paragon, can you MOVE the 22gb partition - this will use the 7.8gb spare space.

I would use the remaining space to create a new partition - ntfs - and store all personal stuff on it.
You can move My Documents to the new partition by right click on it in the menu.

Procrastinus 15:23 04 Feb 2010

I use GParted for all partition moving and resizing. Download, burn to a CD, reboot and use it as a live CD.

canarieslover 15:29 04 Feb 2010

Worth downloading Easeus Partition Master. click here Use the free edition for home use, it works a treat. Also for back up afterwards there is Easeus ToDo that is free and wotks in a similar manner to Acronis.

ame 16:32 04 Feb 2010

Tried again with Paragon as I already had it there. Managed to move C to start of disk and then resize it to take up free space. Guess I wasn't really understanding the move/resizing tool after deleting previous partitions either side of C. Cheers Jollyjohn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?