How do I enable APIC and change firmware

erkmatrix 11:13 21 Jan 2009

Motherboard is GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev. 2.0)
bios version is 1.06.05

Hi I'm wanting to install Windows Xp Pro x64 on my computer on a separate partition on my new velociraptor hard drive 300GB. I've installed Windows Xp Home on the first partition and all works fine with that. But when I wanted to install from CD-rom for my x64 pro version it comes up with.

Enable the local advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC) The x64-based OS does not have APIC enablled. Check firmware settings and enable the APIC.

Please what does this mean and how do I enable the APIC, and if possible can you explain step by step what I would need to do as I'm not too great on things in the bios and troubleshooting the workings of computers.

Thanks very much.
Philip

I am Spartacus 11:21 21 Jan 2009

Look for a setting in the BIOS for ACPI APIC settings and ensure it's enabled. On my Asus motherboard it's under the Power options but I suppose could be anywhere on a different manufacturers.

Out of interest do you have a multi-core CPU? If it's not enabled then some of the cores may not be detected by Windows as I found when I accidentally disabled it before installing Windows which only detected 1 core from my Core 2 Quad.

erkmatrix 11:32 21 Jan 2009

Hi, yeah I had a quick look yesterday but couldn't see anything, I'll go back and check again.

I gave the wrong BIOS version above its FA 03/05/2007 I have on it.

I don't know too much about PCs, it says its intel core 2 duo E6850 so I presume that it must have 2 cores. How do I check if I have them enabled please.

Cheers

I am Spartacus 11:36 21 Jan 2009

An easy way is to download Core Temp or Real Temp. If they only show temperatures for one core then Windows hasn't detected both. Although you can supposedly tweak the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) to get Windows to detect them both I ended up re-installing.

Real Temp click here

Core Temp click here

erkmatrix 11:41 21 Jan 2009

just checked and it says under power management ACPI Suspend type I have it as S1 (POS) with another option to change it to S3 (STP) whatever this means I have no idea.

I am Spartacus 11:56 21 Jan 2009

I have the following settings:

'Suspend Mode' = 'Auto' for Vista/Win7 but for XP I have it set to S3 otherwise the system will not go into Standby mode properly.

'Repost Video on S3 Resume' = 'Disabled' (I've no idea what that is but I think it may be related to graphics)

'ACPI 2.0 Support' = 'Disabled'

'ACPI APIC Support' = Enabled (This seems to be the key setting you need for APIC support)

erkmatrix 13:36 21 Jan 2009

No I've looked again, nothing like yours with the ACPI APIC Support option. Just the one what I said above the suspend type. This is so typical, spent all that money £1500 PC and and about another £500 with extras to make it fast and it doesn't support this x64 bit. Was sure I'd seen before I bought the XP x64 Pro that my mother board Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev. 2.0) and intel core 2 duo E6850 would support x64bit but I must of been mistaked, only bought the machine just over a year ago so its not old and should be upto date. What a waste of money, wishing now I'd of got a Mac

I am Spartacus 13:58 21 Jan 2009

When you're in the screen with that setting press Ctrl and F1. You may be able to access Advanced Options (according to the manual). I can't see an obvious bit in the manual.

erkmatrix 16:45 21 Jan 2009

Hi again, I managed to do it, some how after I installed an update of my graphics card and creative audio card and tried again it didn't say the error anymore and installed all OK. Weird though and relief I didn't waste the money on the OS. Still awaiting some more memory though that I bought from Play.com on the 8th of this month which still hasn't arrived. Won't be shopping there again, gotta wait 21 days or something before I can do anything.

Cheers for the help I am Spartacus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?