How do I edit startup progs?

Seadog 21:52 03 Apr 2009

Could someone point me in the correct direction to the location where I can edit the programs that start on when windows boots please?
I have a couple of programs on my computer that automatically run on startup that I don't want to run unless I need them.
I've done this before but can't remember how to get to it now.
Oh, os is winxp.

Technotiger 21:54 03 Apr 2009

You need this ... click here

MAJ 22:02 03 Apr 2009

Go to Start > Run and type in:

msconfig

and click OK. Click the Startup tab and untick the entry for the program you don't want starting at bootup. Click Apply and OK to exit, then restart your PC.
Also, a lot programs will have an option that you can untick in their preferences, which will stop it loading at Startup.

Technotiger: Where you been?

Seadog 22:43 03 Apr 2009

Thanks guys
However, when trying it on an old computer in the garage typing msconfig doesn't work - nothing happens, similarly typing dxdiag in the 'run' box does nothing, I'll start another thread about it!

MAJ 22:53 03 Apr 2009

Does the old computer in the garage use Windows 2000, by any chance, it didn't come with msconfig installed, but you can download it if you click here put it in the C:\winnt\system32 folder.

audeal 23:37 03 Apr 2009

Seadog: What you need is "Startup Control Panel."
With this you can turn off any programs that start up when you boot.
click here

Technotiger 08:38 04 Apr 2009

Hi, just moved home, could no longer manage the stairs at my old place - also been having rather more mobility problems than usual. Slowly improving - I think/I hope.

Anyway, didn't think anyone would notice - so Thanks for asking :-)

Technotiger 08:40 04 Apr 2009

Win Patrol is Free, also much more useful than just editing Start-up programs, which it does with ease, much more to it than that though. A program well worth having, as I am sure many on the Forum will agree.

britto 11:45 04 Apr 2009

use the excellent CCleaner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?