How do i downgrade my Acer to XP ?

Re-staw 16:35 23 Mar 2009

I have just purchased an Acer Extensa 5220 and though i am very happy with it i do not get on well with Vista, so i want to do a clean install of XP.

I have an XP pro CD but i dont want to install anything until i know what im doing, this is where the friendly people at PC advisor help me out :D

I am aware i have to change boot sequence in the BIOS and that i need some specific drivers but do not know how to do either of these or where to obtain the drivers i need.

Also.. will a clean install whipe the recovery partition from the hard drive?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

MAJ 16:41 23 Mar 2009

You'll need to have all the XP drivers for the laptop's hardware. click here

canarieslover 19:29 23 Mar 2009

I don't believe that Vista will allow you to install XP so you will have to format the C: drive first to wipe Vista off. As XP should be installed to C: it should leave your recovery partition intact. I have not tried it so perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge could put you straight on that.

Totally-braindead 19:36 23 Mar 2009

One word of warning here, well two really. Make sure that there are XP drivers for everything as if any drivers are not available for XP then that device may not work - did have a quick look and it does appear at first glance that that might not be a problem but you would have to check carefully to be sure. Second thing is I would strongly advise you to back up your Vista installation just in case things did go pear shaped and you had to revert to Vista.
And I know I said two things but is your XP disk registered on another PC or is it new. If its new then fine it'll work ok but if its been registered on another PC it will probably fail validation.

Quiller. 19:56 23 Mar 2009

you have to format the drive before you can install XP, I've done quite a few of them :-)

You will ave to use a third party utility to format the C drive, killdisk is a good one and you might have to delete the recovery partition as this sometimes blocks the downgrade of the operating system.

Do the recovery dvd's as acer ask you to write just in case you have to wipe the partition.

It looks as if MAJ has found your XP drivers.

MAJ 20:11 23 Mar 2009

personally....... I'd call it an upgrade.

Re-staw 20:32 23 Mar 2009

Thank you for all the replies.

MAJ:
Thanks for the link im just wondering though can i download just any XP drivers or do they have to be specific acer ones i dont have a clue :S

And.. should i put them on a USB stick or burn onto a CD?

Totally-braindead:
could i not just download EVERY driver made for XP and then it will pick up all the ones it needs after i have installed XP?

And yes, the XP disc is relatively new and hasnt been used yet.

dave_1:
Thanks, i will use killdisc but im a bit worried about whiping off the recovery partition. If i make the recovery discs that acer prompts me to do will i still be able to use them even if there is no recovery partition?

Quiller. 21:02 23 Mar 2009

You have to make the disks.

Run killdisk from cd or usb pen drive and format C. Then try to boot from cdrom with XP disk.

If the installation goes well, leave the recovery partition.

If the xp installation hangs you might have to wipe the recovery partition.

Re-staw 21:42 23 Mar 2009

1) there are several boot options in BIOS which one boots from CD/DVD drive (i can get picture if needed)

2) Does killdisk give the option to whipe off the recovery partition?

3) if i do whipe of the recovery partition will the backup discs i made still work ?

Quiller. 22:11 23 Mar 2009

1) select cd/dvd as the first boot option when you have formatted the C drive with kill disk.

2)Yes but just wipe the drive with windows off first. Be careful you select the correct drive with killdisk, depending on how you run the program, the drive letter may alter in killdisk. Double check by comparing the size and usage of the C drive on the killdisk options screen.

3) that depends on how the backup is set on the disk. Some acers need the recovery partition to kick start the recovery cd's. Some will just start from the disk. That's why I say format C and hen try to load XP.

Re-staw 22:25 23 Mar 2009

What if the recovery partition is on the C: drive with Vista, then killdisk will remove it anyway right ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?