How do i do a sytem restore on win/98?

misters 20:45 28 Jun 2004

Please remind me i seemed to have deleted a file in which i cant recover and i want to do a system restore to see if this helps as i cant find my recovery disc.
Thanx in advance.

Totally-braindead 20:49 28 Jun 2004

You can't, there is no such thing with windows 98, system restore only works with XP

misters 21:00 28 Jun 2004

Ok you could be right, what i mean is, how do i go back to a preveous backup, restore to an earlier date when pc was running ok.

VoG II 21:05 28 Jun 2004

Start, Run, type

scanreg /restore

this should give you dates to restore the registry from.

If you have missing system files and no Windows disk I don't think you can "restore". Are you getting errors saying that files are missing? If so post the names of the missing files.

misters 21:23 28 Jun 2004

I cant remember the files of hand, its just when my pc boot up i get the message saying something like c:prog,file "symtec" is missing if you dont want to use this program any more please uninstall it from its original program.

I know the program is nortos anti virus, in which i dont use but i cant find it on my pc to uninstall it.

Mister Splendid 21:24 28 Jun 2004

As Totally-braindead posted, there is no system restore in Windows 98. Scanreg /restore will not work as Windows 98 will have no previous states stored to revert to. You will need to see if you can find a third party restore program that will support Windows 98.

R4 21:26 28 Jun 2004

if you have your win 98 /98SE CD :-

Best way and keep all settings is to do this:-
Insert W98 CD in drive exit the autorun window browse the CD in Windows Explorer Open the folder W98 open the folder TOOLS open the folder SYSREC Double click on PCRESTOR

Pcrestor is a batch file and is actually pcrestor.bat.
This will restore W98 or 98SE yet keep all your settings EXCEPT keyboard language (defaults to english US) and Regional settings.

Mister Splendid 21:26 28 Jun 2004

Remember if you do find a third party restore program it can go back as far as the time it was installed.

misters 21:28 28 Jun 2004

Third party restore program? Like what?
I did try the scanreg/restore but nothing happened.

Mister Splendid 21:28 28 Jun 2004

All that will do is correct Windows errors, not problems with installed/uninstalled programs.

misters 21:40 28 Jun 2004

As i said before i cant find my disk. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone