How do I divert G-mail/Hotmail to Mailwasher

gudda96 10:31 02 Aug 2006

Hi Guys

At present any OE incoming mail filters through my Mailwasher prog and it works great.

I believe I can also divert HM and GM, anyone know how please.

FelixTCat 10:36 02 Aug 2006

Hi gudda96,

Gmail is quite simple. Set up Mailwasher as usual with user name and password. Then click Advanced account options.

Fill in Server port number as 995 and tick This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

Voila

Regards,

Felix

gudda96 11:02 02 Aug 2006

Felix

Sorry to sound dim but my MW is already set up, can you do a >>>>>
open MW
tools
accounts

in that sort of format, I find it easier to follow, hope you dont mind?

FelixTCat 11:19 02 Aug 2006

Gudda,

That's quite OK.

1. Open Mailwasher

2. Go to Tools - Accounts

3. Highlight your Gmail account and click on Properties

4. Click Incoming mail tab

5. Click Advanced account options.

6. Tick This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

7. Fill in Server port number as 995

8. Click OK

9. Click OK in Account details for a POP3 account window

10. Click Close in Accounts window

11. Click Check Mail and see if it works (You can also click the down arrow beside the Check Mail button and only check the mailbox you want)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix

gudda96 11:33 02 Aug 2006

felix

That is laid out perfectly, and may i add as most people should do it.

BUT, when at 3, I cant h/l GM as its not there, only my BTinternet personal a/c is there.

I noticed this time when i received your reply in GM, there was no live link to PCA?

FelixTCat 11:41 02 Aug 2006

gudda,

I'm a bit foxed by that "there was no live link to PCA".

However, in Mailwasher if there is no GM, then do the following:

1. Open Mailwasher

2. Click Tools - Accounts

3. Click Add

4. Tick POP3

5. Give the new account a suitable name (e.g. Gmail) and click Next

6. Fill in the server address (pop.googlemail.com) and your user name (e.g. [email protected])

Now continue from item 5 in my previous post. This sets up the new account in Gmail.

Regards,

Felix

gudda96 12:57 02 Aug 2006

Felix

When i do MW/tool/accounts/add, a messahe appears saying I can only have 1 account with MW free.

Is it to do with my BT Internet being shaown in that window already showing the account/server/user name and its highlited.

Pit I cant do P/s in this forum or attachments

FelixTCat 13:43 02 Aug 2006

Gudda,

Sorry, I use the Pro version and didn't realise the free one only supported one email account. Looks like you will have the choice of BT or Gmail.

There is a way around this if you think laterally. Open an email account at click here (free, provided you don't get too many emails per day) and tell everybody it is your new email address. Bigfoot automatically forwards all emails to an address you tell it so tell it to forward all mails to gmail.

You can have as many bigfoot accounts as you like, so you can open different ones for different purposes and direct them all to gmail. Then use Mailwasher to monitor your gmail account.

Alternatively, upgrade to Mailwasher Pro

Regards,

Felix

gudda96 13:56 02 Aug 2006

felix

Do you mean to also remove my personal BT addie, because if you do, all I would have to do is just have G_mail and tell MW that is my account.

My only objective BTW is that like OE arriving in MW, I have it set to warn me of the arrival.

Whereas if I am waiting for replies from PCA and other forums, I have to open up HM or Gmail.

My ideal set up (as it was) is to use OE/MW for all personal, not many BTW. Then use HM or another for business/buying/forums etc.

I only went off HM because it was playing up as was IE, more confused than ever now.I possibly will change all/any accounts to Gmail and keep my OE addie.

What are the main benefits of PRO? and if I had it, could I divert GM/HM through MW, do you do it?

Last questions, how come this form, which I like and get lots of help, do not have attachment facility or PM for members?

FelixTCat 15:03 02 Aug 2006

Gudda,

Unfortunately, you can only have one account, either BT or Gmail.

As an alternative, you could open Bigfoot accounts as I said and direct them to your BT email address and not use Gmail.

Mailwasher can't warn you of the arrival of emails; all you can do is set it to check every few minutes and set a sound to tell you if it finds new mail.

You don't need to use Mailwasher (though I think it's a super program); you can make OE reasonably secure by telling it to read mail in text format only, turning off the preview window and telling it not to open pictures etc in HTML format emails. It then behaves much like Mailwasher.

You can also set up filters in OE to sort your mail.

Strictly, Mailwasher doesn't divert mail, it looks at the mail in your email account and downloads the header and the first 20 characters in text format so you can choose to delete them before downloading the whole email.

For the full differences in the Pro version, go to click here

As to attachments, you might like to contact the Forum Editor about that - there's a contact at the top of the message list.

Regards,

Felix

gudda96 18:07 02 Aug 2006

Felix

Unfortunately, you can only have one account, either BT or Gmail.>>>>>>>>>>>
In MW you mean?

As an alternative, you could open Bigfoot accounts as I said and direct them to your BT email address and not use Gmail.>>>>>>>>>>
so then I would give my bigfoot addie to all except friends and when anyone wrote to me at Bigfoot, it would arrive in my MW which after being checked by me,would send it to OE?? must admit, I have never seen anyone with a BF addie but have seen it imbedded in one of my accounts somewhere.

Mailwasher can't warn you of the arrival of emails
>>>>>>sorry, I meant as it is now when MW makes sound at mail arrival

You don't need to use Mailwasher (though I think it's a super program); you can make OE reasonably secure by telling it to read mail in text format only, turning off the preview window and telling it not to open pictures etc in HTML format emails. It then behaves much like Mailwasher.>>>>>>>>>
I never use preview pane anyway, told years ago it was a security risk, if I stopped MTML, dont I prevent attachments??

ou can also set up filters in OE to sort your mail.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you mean the "message rules" setting "to" or "from"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?