how do i discover my ssid?

Trotter2 19:59 24 Jan 2012
Answered

hi all, i've just bought a wireless printer, Epson Stylus SX435W, and need the ssid during setup! problem is that i don't know where to find it! i use Windows 7! the installer has three options of which i must choose one and i don't have a clue how to proceed! these options are : 1/. continue setup using this software (a usb cable is required for temporary setup - recommended) 2/. use printer's control panel (use printer's control panel to enter your wireless settings). 3/. AOSS/WPS setup (select this option if your network device [router or access point] supports AOSS/WPS setup. all of which, i don't understand! i don't have a usb cable! can somebody please explain in plain english, not tech terms, thankyou.

baldydave 20:28 24 Jan 2012
Answer

Hi, Your SSID is normally printed on the side or bottom router,hope this helps. I have used the printers lcd panel to install before now.Look on printer lcd and choose wireless setup select your network (ssid name) and enter the password,this is normally on the router as well.This will install the printer on your network,then go into windows and add printer.

T0SH 20:30 24 Jan 2012

SSID is the identification name used by your wireless router it is usually printed on a label attached to your wireless router for example:

BTHomeHub-xxxx

SKYxxxx

(the xxxx bit being alphanumeric)

Mostly the first part refers to your ISP or the router makers name

Cheers HC

iscanut 20:36 24 Jan 2012

If you know how to log in to your router, all the info will be displayed for you. Your router manual will normally tell you how to do this. If you let us know your rouer make & model, I am sure someone will help.

Terry Brown 20:37 24 Jan 2012

I would suggest using the recommended option (1), as that will find the right settings for you.

Terry

Trotter2 20:37 24 Jan 2012

thankyou both for help! have now sorted it! very grateful to you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?