How do I disable AVG Free 8.0?

Pineman100 10:24 07 May 2008

I've recently installed AVG Free 8.0. I know there's been a fair bit of controversy about this latest version, but - running under XP SP3 alongside Zone Alarm - I've had no problems (in the 2 days that I've had it!).

But... I recently downloaded Internet Explorer 7, and the installer advised that firewalls and antivirus should be switched off during the process.

But I can't find any way of disabling AVG 8!

Can anyone help, please?

mole44 10:36 07 May 2008

easy,just uninstall it

eedcam 10:40 07 May 2008

Right click on the icon and exit

iscanut 10:46 07 May 2008

You might also be able to stop it starting by going into MSCONFIG and unticking it in the startup section.

Pineman100 11:12 07 May 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried. I got the following report:

"AVG Tray is the main component of AVG. By closing it you will no longer be able to manage and monitor all other components. Do you really want to close AVG Tray application?"

Does this definitely mean that AVG will be suspended? The wording gives the impression that AVG will continue to run, but I won't be able to control it.

mole44 and Nuts - thanks for your suggestions, but they're both rather more radical than I was hoping for!

recap 11:15 07 May 2008

All it is advising you is that AVG will not be running until you next start AVG or your system up again.

The next time you boot your system up AVG will run as normal.

Technotiger 12:28 07 May 2008

I don't use IE7, however, when I want to download and install any item which suggests switching off AV and /or Firewalls, I disconnect my cable from rear of PC to Router - after saving the downloaded item to Desktop, from where I can then install it. Basically it is the Installation process that requires things to be switched off, not the download process! At least that is how I see it, and I have never had any problems with either process.

Technotiger 12:29 07 May 2008

PS - having done the installation, I then turn off PC, re-connect Router cable and re-start PC as normal.

Covergirl 12:30 07 May 2008

In Services I've got :
Alert Manager
Update Service
Resident Shield Service and
E-mail scanner all running

In Processes, I've only got
avgcc.exe
which is ticked in Startup in MSConfig. It loads the systray icon and the Control Centre program into memory.

You can close the Control Centre down or stop it starting up (untick in MSCONFIG)but you can still right click my computer and select Scan with AVG.

If you really want to shut all aspects of AVG down, go into Task Manager and disable all the above and anything else starting with AVG.

However, to "close all running programs" and "disable AV and firewalls" is a pretty standard message you get during most installation packages. It may not be actually necessary.

Personally, I would create a system restore point, then go ahead with the installation of IE7 and see if it succeeds or fails during installation. If it succeeds but IE7 doesn't work properly, restore then disable or stop all AVG items from (Windows Key+Run)Services.msc and see if you have more luck.

Pineman100 15:20 07 May 2008

It looks as though recap's suggestion is probably what I'm after, although I've learned a fair bit from other contributions.

Thank you all very much.

daffy_ocuk 14:13 02 Jun 2008

OK, so it's a month late, but for the record, you need to disable Resident Shield.

To do this:
* open AVG User Interface
* double-click on the Resident Shield
* un-tick the option "Resident Shield active"
* save the changes

Don't forget to activate it again after you've done whatever required it to be disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017