How do I delete 'Welcome to Wndows'.

missjosy 14:31 30 Aug 2005

I have been using a Gateway PC with Win 98SE. since new.
I would like to get rid of the pop up box called: ‘Welcome to Windows’.
It asks for a user password, but I have always clicked ‘Cancel.
I notice that it listed in the System Tools drop down menu. I have always been tempted to Delete it.
I would be happy to learn how to do it correctly - help please!

Stuartli 14:37 30 Aug 2005

click here

I presume you are not referring to the tutorial?

missjosy 15:08 30 Aug 2005

Very good question Stuartli.!
You may be right, that the System tools refers to the tutorial.
I just want to get rid of the pop box which appears just before desktop loads on boot up.

missjosy 15:30 30 Aug 2005

Stuartli, you may well be right that System Tools refers to the tutorial.

This pop up box asks for a user name to enter, for the six years that I have had the Pc, I have just clicked 'cancel'.
i just would like to be rid of the box.

lotvic 17:25 30 Aug 2005

click here

2009 Open the Control Panel, double-click Passwords, and on the Change Passwords tab, click the Change Windows Password button. On the Old Password line, type your password. Press Tab to move down to the New Password line, then press Enter (to enter no password). A dialog box will appear to tell you your password has been successfully changed. Click OK, click Close, and that Welcome To Windows dialog box won't bother you again.

click here This article describes how to prevent Windows from prompting you for a password when you start Windows.

Note that this information applies only if you are not using user profiles. If you have user profiles enabled, and you follow the steps in this article, Windows is not prevented from prompting you for a password. If you have enabled user profiles and you would like to disable or delete them before you follow these steps, view the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

missjosy 17:35 30 Aug 2005

Lotvic, thank you, i shall a have a go and report back later this evening.

Stuartli 17:47 30 Aug 2005

Sorry, my link was for XP - I've been using XP Pro for nearly two years now and it doesn't always register that someone has mentioned an earlier version of Windows...:-(

woodchip 17:49 30 Aug 2005

Welcome to Wndows I don't like it ether, but rather you than me messing in the registry with that bit

missjosy 19:05 30 Aug 2005

I am happy to report a successful outcome.
My thanks to one and all.

keith-236785 19:35 30 Aug 2005

for anyone else, a simple way to remove the login request is to change the logon from "microsoft logon" to windows family logon"

as for where it is i cant remember but i think its in the network settings. i too have been on winxp for about two years.

hope this helps someone out there.

woodchip 21:27 30 Aug 2005

I don't get Logon, but I do get " Welcome to Wndows"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017