How do I delete a CDRW?

benson68 18:11 18 Mar 2006

According to "help", there's a formatting option when I click on my CD drive in "My Computer".
I've left & right clicked everything, even used "search" for something called "CD writing tasks". I am using WinXP home.
How can I delete my CDRW files?

recap 18:50 18 Mar 2006

What program are you referring to benson68?

ade.h 19:49 18 Mar 2006

Are you asking how to delete files on a CD-RW?

Insert it, let in open a folder window and select "Erase this CD-RW" from the folder's task pane. The same function can be found on the context menu of the CD-R drive when a CD-RW is present.

If that's not what you're asking, then I'm at a loss.

terryf 11:29 19 Mar 2006

I have found that the only way that I can delete CDRW on my machine is to use Nero, I don't know whether I have a faulty drive but trying to use the OS (win xp pro) never seems to work

terryf 11:29 19 Mar 2006

PS, sorry I meant erase not delete

pj123 15:27 19 Mar 2006

There are a few ways to delete files on a CDRW, depending on what application you used to put them on the CD in the first place.

If you formatted the CD using InCD or DirectCD then the CD should act just like a very large floppy disk. Just right click the file(s) you want to delete and put them in the recycle bin.

If you didn't format the CD then you need to use the application you put them on the CD with and delete from there. I very rarely use CDRW disks now but when I do I never format them. I just use Neroburn in Multisession mode and burn from there. When I need to delete any files I use Nero again and right click the files and "delete". You actually have to do another burn before they are deleted though. So I tend to delete some and add some at the same time.

benson68 12:06 20 Mar 2006

These are just files that I've backed up, but can't change on further backups. The option for deleting (re-formatting) on WinXP help isn't available at all!
I've managed to clear everything using Nero, but wanted to know where this "CD writing tasks" is!

ade.h 14:32 20 Mar 2006

CD Writing Tasks is at the top of the Task Pane of the CD Writing folder, which is accessible from the CD drive icon.

benson68 15:58 20 Mar 2006

Now I can't access my E drive! Error message says"E:\ is not accessible. incorrect function"

benson68 16:37 21 Mar 2006

Panic over. It seems that I didn't have "recording on this drive" enabled!
Thanks anyway.

ade.h 18:17 21 Mar 2006

Hmm, yeah; that would have an effect! ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires