How do I create two home pages

sheila.weston 12:32 16 Apr 2007

The other week I had two Home Pages ie BBC Good Food and GOOGLE Advanced. After a computer problem I seem to have lost these and would love to get them back, but how?

The Internet Options tab only allows for one now, whereas previously the box had the two home page URLs one below the other.

Thanks, as always.

Monument 12:40 16 Apr 2007

Click on the House icon to the right side of the desktop and choose Add or Change Home Page

sheila.weston 12:59 16 Apr 2007

I have double-clicked on the house icon and the home page appears on the screen, but there doesn't seem to be an option to add a second house. If I right-click and select 'customize' a box appears. I selected 'add' and selected the house icon, but it didn't create a second house. Perhaps something is missing?

xania 13:02 16 Apr 2007

By definition, you can only have one home page - this is the page you see when you first open IE. The best thing it to have your alternative site as your first favorite so you can jump to this immediately if required. However, if you have two identities on your PC, you can link each to a separate home page, but this might be a bit of a sledge hammer approach.

MAJ 13:17 16 Apr 2007

You can have more than one 'Home Page' but the default one will appear when you open IE. To add another, Go to IE > Tools > Internet Options and type or paste in the url of your second choice, click Apply and OK to exit. Close and Reopen IE. IE will open with your default homepage (the first typed in the box) but if you click the House (homepage) icon, the second homepage will appear in a new tab. Alternatively you can press Alt +M and have the choice which one to open.

sheila.weston 14:05 16 Apr 2007

Thanks, Maj. That is what I had before, BUT it doesn't work following your method. The new page just replaces the old. I have also tried putting a colon between them. I am sure that this is what I did before and in the internet options box there were two URLs one below the other.

I actually had the default Home Page on top of the second choice with a tab to change between the two.

I wonder if it is something connected with having to remove a partition on this drive the other week.

Yes, Xania. I will have to do this if all else fails.

MAJ 16:09 16 Apr 2007

I wouldn't imagine that removing a partition would effect it, sheila.weston. What I did was come to this page then clicked the "use current" button in Tools > Internet Options. That put this page's url into the box. I then put my mouse cursor at the end of that url in the box, hit the Return key and typed/pasted in my second url (Google, in my case). Now when I open IE7 two tabs appear, the first tab showing my default homepage (this one) and the second tab contains Google (my second 'homepage').

scotty 16:54 16 Apr 2007

Another option is to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox will open several urls in different tabs as your "home page".

sheila.weston 16:57 16 Apr 2007

Unfortunately this doesn't work, so I think we'll have to leave it. Most annoying. I think that something must have got lost in the repair. When I press the return key after the default Home Page, the box just closes. I have tried typing on the same line, but that doesn't work either. I'll ask the repairer and see if he has any ideas and let you know if he solves it.

Many thanks for trying.

Ah............ I have just had a thought. I still have IE6 and it may be that IE 7 had been uploaded at a previous repair (I've had a few recently!!)but not at this one. I'll let you know.

Sheila

Braund'sboy 10:08 11 May 2007

when I had ie6 there was a house button on the right hand side of the tab? bar.
It was easy to add a webpage as a tab or homepage.

Since I did a Windows update to ie7, this button no longer exists.
Can I get the button back again?

dogbreath1 10:15 11 May 2007

Install Firefox!

Then, open the desired home pages in separate tabs.

Click on tools>options>main tab and choose the option to use current pages.

Next time you launch Firefox, the chosen pages will be launched as adjacent tabs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?