How do i create a bootable disc of my system

TRICKY 12:13 09 May 2009

Hi

This may be simple. But over the years I have often had the misfortune to download trojans, virus's etc. Quite often totally killing my system. I then have to get someone to reformat for me. I have checkers installed etc

I have just had my system set up again. It is now reformatted in a clean state. It has everything on that I require at present. (i am obviously sending this via my standy system, as i have not placed my new one on the net as yet).

What is the best way to capture a everything I have on the system to cd/dvd. So that when I have a future problem, I can just boot from the cd/dvd and restore everything back to how it is....without any fuss and, if possible, at no cost. (I do apologise to all of you that earn money from people like myself, but I think I have paid my dues and would just like to do it myself)

Hope someone can help

Dave

Diemmess 12:23 09 May 2009

You dont name your system but Acronis £20+ has given me peace of mind to trust it to restore the last backup and sail on as if there had never been a problem.

There are freeware programs and of course Windows own System Restore if you are running XP or Vista, but for me the solution is Acronis

brundle 12:30 09 May 2009

Agreed, Acronis is well worth the money. Free options include DriveXML ( click here ) and Macrium Reflect ( click here ). The latter allows creation of a bootable CD to restore an OS image.

brundle 12:32 09 May 2009

You'd be hard pushed to fit an entire OS image on a single DVD though. Maybe a completely fresh install of XP with a few apps, but certainly not Vista. Normally an image file would stored on an external USB drive or second hard-disk.

mfletch 12:44 09 May 2009

Buy a external hard drive then you can use this EASEUS Disk Copy to create a bootable disc that will copy all the C drive onto the external drive,

Then if the computer gets infected and wont boot you just boot from the disc and it will put everything back to C drive from the external drive.

Just keep it updated every month or so, {the external hard drive}

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?