How do I copyright/protect a CD

beastieboy 15:27 01 Jun 2003

Hi,

I want to put some files on a CD and redistribute it to people like my friends but also companies. I don't want them to take the info off the disc, copy them or do anything that would mean they'd pirate it.

I know a bit and went to click here but please can someone point me in the right direction to properly protect a CD (i understand nothing is 100% safe but I need it to be safe as possible) I am outting about 6 large files on a CD and I want them to view, not to save, extract or copy.

Please help

Janusz

-pops- 15:59 01 Jun 2003

There isn't a system that will prevent copying of disks. Yes, there is claimed to be copy protection but that is easily over-ridden and any new system that claims to be effective will be cracked and hacked within a few minutes of publication. Even the "great" Windows XP security system was opened in no time.

I think you'll just have to trust people - like all the other producers of CDs etc do.

If, of course, you came up with an effective system yopu would be able to retire tomorrow!!

Brian

Note to anyone reading this: Easy as this cracking may be, I am not willing to reveal methods to anyone.

Gaz 25 16:18 01 Jun 2003

Use PDF writer from adobe, this allows you to add security permissions to files, very much like word files, for people to view them though you may want to include a copy of Acrobat reader 5.1 for them to install to read the files.

You can let them read, not save, copy or print.

You can buy PDF writer from click here nd PC shops.

I hope this will answer your question, other than that nothing else I can think of.

But as with everything, it is safe but not fully safe, it can be broken into with know how, but it will give you the best protection possible to written documents.

Have you seen them PDF's that people put on the net and you cannot save from them, etc?

Well that is what I am taliking about, I hope it works for you.

Good luck.

Regards,
Gareth

Forum Editor 16:25 01 Jun 2003

a way of copy-protecting a CD that is 100% effective. Some of the methods used are crude - such as adding a second, dummy TOC (Table Of Contents) to the CD and some are extremely sophisticated encryption routines that involve digital signatures.

All the most effective methods involve sending your CD to a mastering facility where it is specially prepared for mass production and retiurned to you......sounds expensive doesn't it? That's because it is, and unless you're planning to distribute tens of thousands of copies for profit you can forget it.

My best advice would be to place a conspicuous copyright notice on each CD - make people aware that you will take action against copyright infringements. Then hope for the best. If someone makes a single copy for themselves you probably won't worry too much - it's mass copying you need to guard against.......and you can't, unless you have a deep pocket.

You might fancy trying the dummy TOC method(on the basis that you have nothing to lose) you can read about it if you
click here

wee eddie 16:43 01 Jun 2003

I have no idea if it is possible, but

Could you write a time limit into the code

Say, for example that it will not operate after 30/09/03, after-all all computers are date sensitive.

Gaz 25 16:46 01 Jun 2003

Like an evaluation period.

Morpheus© 16:59 01 Jun 2003

i think it is a lost cause, when you buy CD's now they say "this product features copy control technology" which if you give it one minute's thought, it can be bypassed...so you do not stand much chance......

Gaz 25 17:03 01 Jun 2003

Its like CD's, they stop them playing on your PC, to get around it is easy.

I dare go into detail or I would be locked up,

For a start with sony copyright marker pen did the trick, but with some it didnt, but you could input your home HiFi and copy the tracks that way.

So it is difficult to stop people from copying data, but as I say, if you wnat to protect text and picture documents, use PDF.

Other than that if it is software look out for evalutaion period codes.

spuds 20:05 01 Jun 2003

Unless you have a multi million pound budget, then having a fool proof protection system would be well out of your range.The top electronic people are still trying to make a fool-proof system, but have yet not come up with anything 100%. Best and cheapest method as been suggested,by just adding a copyright to your cd's, and hope for the best.

bobber100 22:28 01 Jun 2003

You could compile your files into a multimedia ebook* which can be password protected or time limited, the individual files would not be able to be copied and the ebook would have your copyright all over it.

(nothing will stop anyone determined enough though)

*e-ditor is one ebook compiler with those functions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone