How do I control my downloads?

chews 15:38 16 Sep 2008

Just recently when I download a file from the internet, it disappears to some temp location. It does'nt prompt me for my destination folder. Where can I find the settings so that I can tell it where to dump the file?
This is driving me crazy so any help would be much appreciated.

peter99co 15:54 16 Sep 2008

When the download is offered you should click save and browse for destination. Once this has been done once It usually become the normal destination. I choose to download to Desktop and then open from there.

peter99co 15:56 16 Sep 2008

You may have clicked save and not set the destination and it chose the default and still is.

exdragon 15:58 16 Sep 2008

If you create a folder on your destop and name it Downloads, not only will you have them all in one place, but you can back it up on a regular basis if you have lots of downloads/updates. Then, if a programme goes pear-shaped and you have to re-install it, you have all the updates to hand without having to find them again on the original websites.

sinbads 21:03 16 Sep 2008

Plus you can scan the file for viruses before you open them.

Sea Urchin 23:00 16 Sep 2008

Which browser are you using?

chews 08:21 17 Sep 2008

Thanks to all for your replies.
I am using IE ver 7.
In the past I have always been offered the choice of where to d/l the file and I would tick the box then shoose my destination and never had a problem,sometimes to the desktop and sometimes to my own 'temp'.
Iam not given a choice now and I have no control because the d/l just whizzes somewhere into no mans land. It's as though it has reverted back to a default setting and I want to know which box to either tick or untick.
I will probably take up 'exdragons' suggestion once I get this going again.

Sea Urchin 12:36 17 Sep 2008

This thread from another forum seems to have a similar problem - it might be worth scrolling down to Alan Edwards' answer half way down and investigating that

click here

chews 15:47 17 Sep 2008

Thanks Sea Urchin I don't think that is my problem and I can't really follow it although it may seem to be the opposite to my problem,i'm not sure.

I may not have made myself very clear so I'll try again;
When I ask to d/l a file, I am confronted with the File Download box. Withing the box is the following: "do you want to open this file?

OPEN SAVE CANCEL

"Always ask before opening this file" (there is a box in front of this statement which requires a tick or not. I used to have a tick)

At the moment I do not get this box with these choices and I am wondering what I have done to lose it. More importantly how do I reactivate it?

exdragon 18:25 17 Sep 2008

If you select Save, can't you then browse to your designated file - for example, your newly created download file on your desktop? I've just tried a download and it works for me!

exdragon 18:26 17 Sep 2008

You can then go into the file, open your download and run it from there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017