How do I connect TV to PC?

trisha01 08:25 10 Jan 2007

I want to connect my TV to the pc - this is so I can watch music videos etc. Any advice on how to do it?

Totally-braindead 10:45 10 Jan 2007

If your graphics card has a TV out you just use that. If not you'll need to buy either a new graphics card or a TV tuner card.

I haven't tried this for some time but when I tried it, a couple of years ago, using my computer graphics card and the TV out socket, I found the picture quality to be rather poor and subsequently stopped using it.
Of course they may be better now.

ArrGee 17:52 10 Jan 2007

Just want to check something.

Are the music videos on your PC and you want to watch them on TV, or do you want to watch TV on your computer?

trisha01 19:04 10 Jan 2007

Yes I've got stuff on the pc and I want to watch them via the tv - use the tv as a monitor so to speak.

ArrGee 19:47 10 Jan 2007

Then, as suggested, you need a TV Out card, which will allow a standard co-ax cable to be connected.

Or, better still (unless you already have one), get an S-Video out card, and obtain an S-Video to scart lead (which is what I have done) for better quality.

ArrGee 19:49 10 Jan 2007

This should be of further help:
click here

ArrGee 19:52 10 Jan 2007

If you post on here the make and model of your PC, we might be able to assist you a little further as to the best way to go about hooking up your TV.

Hope this is of help.

FreeCell 20:03 10 Jan 2007

I presume you don't have a newish LCD TV as many have a VGA socket which allows them to be used as a PC monitor.

rodriguez 22:17 10 Jan 2007

If it's a CRT TV you might find it hard to read text. TVs have a different type of tube than PC monitors which doesn't have as much detail. So for icons on the desktop or playlists you may need to turn the brightness down and squint to read it.

trisha01 18:44 11 Jan 2007

PC is an Acer Aspire T130, about a couple of months old and the TV is an ordinary CRT TV about 4 years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?