how do i connect 5.1 surround sound?

smileyface 12:19 03 Dec 2008

I have a subwoofer and 5 speakers. I have connected the centre speaker and subwoofer to the port labelled as such, the rearspeakers as labelled in the next port and the front speakers in the microphone port. The speakers are buzzing but nothing music comes fromthem. However if I plug my headphones in I can hear the music. Help!

cliff100 12:28 03 Dec 2008

I recently connected surround sound to my PC (XP) and got a box pop up asking what i plugged in. E.g centre , back , sub etc.. have you tried to expand small icon in the task bar in case it gives you any help.
if this is no good what PC is it and what sound card have you got.

Cliff

Sea Urchin 12:34 03 Dec 2008

Doesn't sound right to me - mic IN/speakers/OUT. Don't know whether this might help you

click here

smileyface 13:20 03 Dec 2008

I've tried the help facility but it doesn't help. I don'tknow what sound card I have as the computer was built for me a few years ago and as you can tell I'm not techy. Any ideas how I can find out?

Technotiger 14:11 03 Dec 2008

Download and run SIW click here - then look under Hardware>Devices>Sound to find your Sound card details.

Woolwell 14:52 03 Dec 2008

Many PC sound connections are colour coded. click here

You should not be putting the front speakers in the Mic socket.
Subwoofer/Centre - Orange, Rear - Black, Front - Green.

smileyface 15:47 03 Dec 2008

I have checked out you colour codes and they are different to mine.
I have orange with centre/lfe at the side
purple with rear speakers at side.
yellow with s.pdif at side and the along the bottom I have pink with mic at side.
green and blue with a symbol at the side that looks like a transmitter sign.
So I have tried the sub and centre speaker in the orange.
Rear speakers in purple and front speakers in green and then in blue.
I still get the buziing sound but nothing else.
Iambeginning tothink it'sthe way its setup on the computer but again I don't know how todo that either.

sinbads 17:18 03 Dec 2008

Sometimes the colour code is somewhat different , you will need to identify your sound card, using Technotiger's siw link, assuming the sound card supports 5:1 speakers, then the info from the manufacturers site on this card will show which colour belongs to the speakers. Also you will need to tell your computer that you are using 5:1 speakers as the default is 2 speakers, If you open your sound card properties ( in the control pannel)you should be able to select your speaker configuration there.

smileyface 18:05 03 Dec 2008

I have finally found the sound on SIW but i haven't a clue what I amlooking at because theres so much info on there. There is a device ID of

NVAX\*NFORCE\430255A310000

is this it?

sinbads 19:09 03 Dec 2008

No under the hardware expand divices, then expand sound,video and game controllers, first on the list should be your sound card, highlight it should then give you a breakdown of your card + manufacturer.

Technotiger 19:19 03 Dec 2008

Following on from sinbads post - your sound card will not necessarily be shown as the first item within Sound, video and game controllers - my sound card is 5th item in the list!

click here]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?