How do I configure Half Life Deathmatch with steam

RobCharles1981 13:17 20 Jul 2006

I'm now on broadband (Aol Silver with a BT Voyager 190 ADSL Modem) I run Zone Alarm Firewall in the firewall settings the Internet Zone Security is High up and the Trusted Zone Security is off. However in the Firewall advanced options click here

Are the settings correct?

Ive permited the hl.exe and Steam.exe and hl2.exe all fully permited.

I ran a steam test and this i the result....

UDP Ports: Passed
The following UDP ports were reachable.
UDP Port: 27000 - 27040

TCP Ports: Passed
The following TCP ports were reachable.
TCP Port: 27020 - 27040

Background Processes: Failed
The following background processes were found on your system. Please try exiting or uninstalling them, and see if that resolves your issue
Process: vsmon.exe
ZoneLabs Firewall Monitor is running on this system. Make sure all required ports are open, and all instances of Steam.exe, hl.exe, and hl2.exe are allowed access to the internet.
Severity: Very High
Process: AOLacsd.exe
AOL Connectivity Service is running on this system. This may cause connections problems with Steam.
Severity: Low
Process: C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
BigFix can automatically download and read technical support information - it's a resource hog so shut it down when you are playing games.
Severity: Low

Loaded Modules: Passed
There were no loaded modules found that conflict with Steam or the games.

Services: Passed
There were no services found that conflict with Steam or the games.

Layered Service Providers: Passed
There were no LSPs found that should conflict with Steam or the games.

Additional Information

If you continue to have problems updating Steam, please exit from Steam, and then delete the following files from your Steam directory.

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.dll
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamUI.dll
C:\Program Files\Steam\ClientRegistry.Blob

If you continue to have problems finding any servers, please exit from Steam, and then delete the following files from your Steam\config directory.

C:\Program Files\Steam\config\serverbrowser.vdf
C:\Program Files\Steam\config\masterservers.vdf

RobCharles1981 13:17 20 Jul 2006

Hope you can help

Rob

RobCharles1981 15:41 20 Jul 2006

Any Advice?

billypilgrim 16:13 20 Jul 2006

Disable all HL2, Steam exceptions in Zonealarm (yes, all of them), then reconnect and set Zonealarm to allow all.
In the long term, think about replacing your modem with a router. this will enable you to remove all AOL software, and its inbuilt firewall will be much more secure than Zonealarm. (im not a fan of Zonealarm, it can be a right pain).

RobCharles1981 16:15 20 Jul 2006

Shall I try a different Firewall then like Kerio ?

RobCharles1981 16:24 20 Jul 2006

Cause I read somewhere that its a better firewall than zone alarm

billypilgrim 16:38 20 Jul 2006

It shouldn't be necessary just to solve your current problem, although i too have heard good things about Kerio. As far as i know, there is no incompatability issue between Steam and Zonealarm, its just getting the port forwarding right.
I was just making a general suggestion about the router, with a view to helping you cut down the number of running processes on your comp, AOL software really hogs resources, and with a hardware firewall you can relie on that and your Windows firewall. overall you should then get much better performance in-game (more FPS!).

RobCharles1981 16:43 20 Jul 2006

So what would be the next thing I should do? My Friend is having pot luck and hes had a sucessful connection

How do I forward these ports in Zone Alarm??

RobCharles1981 20:53 20 Jul 2006

click here*ci&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid=165&p_created=1093390525&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDEmcF9wcm9kcz0zJnBfY2F0cz0yNjMsMCZwX3B2PTEuMzsyLnUwJnBfY3Y9MS4yNjM7Mi51MCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0y

That is the problem i'm experiencing.....

Ive been told that all my ports are fine and I done a speed test on my broadband from click here

Download: 992,672 bps
Upload: 158,376 bps
QOS: 99%
RTT: 124 ms
MaxPause: 44 ms

Should I get a different firewall ?

skidzy 21:01 20 Jul 2006

Rob have you tried just turning the firewall off briefly to find out if Zonealarm is your problem ? Dont forget to turn it back on.

RobCharles1981 21:21 20 Jul 2006

It sounds like a Zone Alarm problem to me, when I turned it off selected a map and then did the Changemap <Map> and did SV_lan 0 I sometimes get "Could not establish a connection to the steam servers"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?